Questions About Protune, Cineform, And Gopro Studio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok, I have a basic understanding of these things. There are endless blogs and guides out there the cover the same basic info but they don't get into the deeper technical matters, so this is what I am seeking from any "experts" out there.

Protune is a setting designed to allow more refined postprocessing. It disables the automatic camera adjustments (white balance, exposure, etc.), capturing unadjusted data at a higher bitrate (more raw data), shifgting the adjustments to the post-editing phase. By most accounts, Gopro does a pretty good job with it's automatic adjustments. So the MP4 output, without any further editing, will look pretty good to most with Protune off but flatter and not so good with Protune on. The Protune filter in Studio makes the same adjustments the camera would have made except now you have more data to work with for finer adjustments. If my understanding is wrong, please correct me.

The first question is whether the MP4 output with Protune on is equivalent to the MP4 output with Protune off, except that it simply has more raw data because it was captured at a higher bit rate? Or does it have proprietary info stored there as well? Why it matters. To edit in Gopro Studio, step 1 requires to convert from MP4 to AVI Cineform. But it's a tedious process. I can use a tool like MPEG StreamClip to batch convert an entire folder of MP4's to AVI Cineform while I sleep, then I can go to Gopro Studio and jump straight to step 2, import the AVI's, and start editing. My initial tests indicate no discernible difference whether I use Studio or Streamclip to convert to AVI then apply Protune filter, but maybe my eye is just untrained.

Another thing I'd like to do is edit clips with something else, like AviDemux that can quickly cut the MP4 and save it back without re-encoding, thus I don't have to spend time converting and post-processing a bunch of garbage. I can also use something like MP3Tag to edit the tags in the clips so I have descriptive metadata about the clips.

Another thing I'd like to do is apply image stabilization, which Studio does not have. I haven't settled on a tool but am comparing Vdub/Deshaker, Mercalli v3 SAL, and several editors that use the Mercalli v2 plugin. No matter what, this task will require re-encoding. I'm not sure where in the process to best apply this. I'm leaning towards the end, applying only to post-processed clips.

Essentially what I'm getting at with all this is that I'd like to use a variety of software tools to do edit my video in various ways but I need to know the best order to do it to minimize loss of quality and excessive re-encoding. I am doing a lot of tests but there are a lot of possible combinations and I'm just trying to narrow it down somewhat. Or maybe, at this level, it's all irrelevant as the difference in quality will be imperceptible to most people?

Finally, after you edit a video do you save it back as raw AVI (huge files) for future editing or do you figure you've done all the editing you're likely to do and just save it as MP4?

I guess I stumped the band. Seems everybody and their brother knows how it works on the surface but few understand what's happening under the hood. Well until it is proven otherwise, I am concluding that there is NO difference between converting MP4 to AVI Cineform beforehand using an app like StreamClip versus int the Gopro Studio app. This would seem to be supported by the fact the Cineform codec is proprietary and not included with apps like StreamClip. Studio installs the codec and it is then available to other apps. Therefore, in this case, Streamclip and Studio are using the exact same codec to make the conversion.

Still interested in any thoughts on image stabilization software as well as the workflow process order of clipping, post-processing, stabilizing, and saving.

You may want to ask the same question on the GoPro Underwater Group Facebook forum. There is a decent amount of knowledge over there...and it is moderated by a guy who teaches GoPro underwater filming & editing and does film production for a living. Like here there are a lot of basic questions, but there are quite a few very helpful folks who might be able to answer your question

You may want to ask the same question on the GoPro Underwater Group Facebook forum. There is a decent amount of knowledge over there...and it is moderated by a guy who teaches GoPro underwater filming & editing and does film production for a living. Like here there are a lot of basic questions, but there are quite a few very helpful folks who might be able to answer your question

Yeah, I'm a member of that group, bought Pete's book. I tried in the past to ask about Deshaker and a few other things. Zip, zilch,nada. Like everywhere else, plenty of "experts" on the basics...

Thanks, those forums look promising. In 5 minutes I've already found several threads on stabilization.

I bought a stand alone editing software (Corel VideoStudeo Pro) just to avoid having to deal with multiple programs. It never made sense that an action cam that had no internal stabilization has editing software that also has no stabilization...

I mean, really. If you are going to take a camera that is a couple inches across and attach it to your bike or jump out of a plane with it, the most important thing you would want to do is image stabilization. In the Corel software I can stabilize each scene separately, which I like since the software can cause distortions in the image. I played around the Vdub/Deshaker software. It was interesting to see how the software analyzed the images and corrected thing as it went along (it shows where/how the image is being altered) but at the end of the day I couldn't do it get the software to mesh with the GoPro software. At that point I decided to may steps in the process and opportunities to screw it my video. That was when I went out and bought a stand alone editor. One package to learn, all of it is integrated Which means that I don't need to worry so much about format conflicts where audio is mysteriously dropped or the video gets screwed up. I focus on just what comes out at the end.

I appreciated your comments about protune. I was never quite sure what it specifically did, but your explanation makes sense.

I thought the Mercalli plugin for image stabilization was only in the corel VS Ultimate, not Pro? I tried installing Corel X9 Ultimate trial but it wouldn't start. Maybe I'll try again. I can get X8 for $40.

Deshaker is very powerful but has a bazillion settings. You can get great results or you can get horrible results. I don't have time to for that. I'm not making professional productions.

The consensus in other forums seems to be apply the stabilization to the final clips. I like Mercalli 3 because it can batch process but it costs more than the Corel X8 which includes a lot more functionality. I'm finding Gopro Studio too limiting already.

The version of Corel that I bought was the pro and in came with the Mercalli software included. I have the version 7 (I got it about six months after 8 came out for $20). It has been working great, even though I haven't been doing much editing during the winter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom