Questions about storage pockets and lift bags...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RavenC once bubbled...
Question though, have you had a spool unravel even with the clip in it. I have heard of that happening a few times. Is this a situation where the spool just wasn't clipped off right?
Yeah, I had that happen once or twice, but there's a solution. The problem isn't that the spool is not clipped off - it's just the nature of the beast - it's like a big pendulum swinging around on the bolt snap, and Murphy sez, eventually it's going to brush the wrong way and the snap will open and the spool will fall off. Usually not a problem with other items, spools just seem prone to it.

Luckily the twice it happened to me was at the end of the dive, actually on the boat deck. Spool would fall off and roll away while unravelling.

When I dive wet now, I have a bungee loop that I can loop around the spool twice, laying on top of the line, and I put a ziptie on the loop which I cut and left about 2" long - this lets you grab the bungee and simply rip it off the spool, allowing the line to unwind. I had a picture but it was blurry.

A big fat rubber band around the spool would work just as nice - all it is is something to stop the line unravelling if the bolt snap opens. Just make sure you can remove it while wearing gloves (hence the 2" of ziptie as something to grab).

Totally non-DIR, but like you, I don't have a pocket on my wetsuit, it's too old to bother attaching one to (plus I occasionally use it for other water activities where the pocket would get in the way).

"Totally non-DIR" Shush don't tell anyone but I DIR (my way) LOL.

I am practicing DIR skills and dive a predominately hogarthian rig but "totally DIR" concepts including the idea of universal gear configurations and skills while are great, they don't accommodate all who choose to adopt the universal gear configurations and skills.

This thread and my dilemma is a perfect example.

With all due respect to "hard-core" DIR divers, I don't fit the DIR body frame. :wacko: :D and the "Uni DIR" gear configuration doesn't account for that. If it did, I wouldn't be asking these questions. Now for those who would say, dive a drysuit, if you want to gift one my way I'll be happy to take it, and use it if it fits. :wink:

Wendy, my lights aren't in a pocket. They are attached to the D-rings on my chest webbing and held into place with the tubing straps.

I really like the Dive rite SMB sleeve, its cheap and easy to put on most any plate or BC. Dunno if its DIR but like you I DIR my way so it works for me. I clip my spools where ever I can depending on what I am doing but until recently I didn't have a rear d-ring so the spool was clipped to the scooter ring and tucked into the waist strap (kinda) sometimes I would clip it onto a waiste ring or even onto my pony.

I have had those bolt snaps come undone twice (both time when in a pocket while attached to spools) the second time was a major ordeal. The boltsnap came undone and the line looped all over around things when I tried to pull the spool otta the pocket the line had badly birdnested. I have yet to figure out how to avoid this with pocket storage so I just keep it cliped off elsewhere.

On all dives with the intention of going below 60 ft I carry a SMB/lift bag unless I am diving it the underwater forests in some pits. It that case I dont have anything including dive flags cause its easy to find yoursef in an overhead environment (so ta speak) with lots of snags. And yes I have a local dive spot with litterally a forest in 80 FFW and its totally cool.

I stow mine in a pouch hanging behind the backplate also. I actually stow 2 of them for redundancy. However, the only time I bother to take it along is when I plan out a deco dive. These are exclusively off the coast of N.C. for me. I carry it along just in case I get away from the anchor line and need it to hang under. The currents can really move here and I want the dive boat to see me as well.

When I am actually using one for lifting objects I have a velcro wrap and hook and I just clip the appropriate lifting bag on to the harness somewhere.

Dead thread walking!

How does someone find a four year old thread?

:)

The search function.

RavenC:
If you have it, do you always dive with a lift bag?
I carry my LB in a(n inverted) Dive Rite sleeve attached to the lower left side of my BP, on every dive - ocean, quarry, whatever. Yes, the clean-up might seem like a bit of a PITA, but the whole gear cleaning process has become such a ritual, I don’t really notice it anymore. Sometimes, I also carry a 6’ sausage wrapped in two bungees attached at the bottom of the plate. Maybe a bit of overkill on that one, though.
RavenC:
Also, do you know of any different storage pockets that fit on the webbing at the waist?
Part of the answer probably depends on what you want to put in a pocket. I find 3-4 uses for a pocket – spare mask; a jon line with a Garvin hook; a baggie with shark’s teeth when I collect them; my Wet Notes. You are right – the Halcyon pocket is REAL big, but it will accommodate the mask and my Wet Notes. I don’t carry the spare mask and Wet Notes very often when diving wet, so I prefer to not use the big pocket. In addition to the good suggestions already made (I like DocIntrepid’s mention of ammo pouches), another option is to consider is one of those trim weight pockets (Halcyon and others sell them), that ordinarily are attached to the tank cam bands. They are quite small and work great for the jon line and other smaller items (even including soft weights).

RavenC:
Question though, have you had a spool unravel even with the clip in it. … Is this a situation where the spool just wasn't clipped off right?
Yes, and yes. I actually had it unravel once as I was ascending from a coastal wreck, and the spool dropped and snagged on the wreck – but still allowed the line to unspool as I headed up the anchor line in blissful ignorance. Of course, I didn’t notice it until my buddy, above me on the ascent line, pointed it out at our safety stop. The loop on the line had stayed attached to the double-ender (which was attached to the bottom of my BP), after the spool disengaged itself from the DE. So, here I am with 100’ line played out behind me down to the wreck. (I think that looked even worse than having a pocket crudely glued on my wetsuit.) But, it has only happened once – I am much more careful with my spool clipping now.
Scubaroo:
A safety-sausage should be required equipment on *any* open water dive - even "weenie" shore dives.
Good point, force of habit can be helpful, and we would probably do well to promote having a safety sausage from the beginning – OW checkouts.

RJP:
Dead thread walking!

How does someone find a four year old thread?

:)

Thanks for pointing that out. Without noticing the dates, I was about to post a reply. Now, I'm doing it just to bring a Zombie back from the dead.

Okay, so I'm naiive...

I carry a sausage every dive, regardless of whether it's in the ocean or a pool. It's just part of my gear and I don't ever remove it. However, I have to ask...what exactly does one use a lift bag for that makes it a part of one's "standard gear". I've used lift bags, of course, but they were for a task specific function such as recovering items, which was in the dive plan. Is there something that might make them necessary for standard gear status?

Just asking.

Back
Top Bottom