Questions about Zeagle Scout circa 1996

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Oct 1996... at least that's what the tag on the inside says under CE.

1. This BC has two integrated weight pockets on the back. The pockets each have two openings, one for the top and one for the bottom, with the bottom having a red pull to quickly release the weights. My question are: How reliable are these pockets? Has anyone lost weights on entry using this system? Am I better off just using a weight belt? (The reason I ask is because Zeagle has a different integrated weight system now, so were the improvements necessary or moving to a newer trend, clip-in weight pockets?)

2. How important are the zig-zag bungies on the bladder? Are they just there to slow the inflation of the bladder?

3. There are no accessories pockets as with the new Scout. Can these be added or is there an alternative?

4. Are the current cumberbund add-ons compatible?

Thanks!

Oct 1996... at least that's what the tag on the inside says under CE.

1. This BC has two integrated weight pockets on the back. The pockets each have two openings, one for the top and one for the bottom, with the bottom having a red pull to quickly release the weights. My question are: How reliable are these pockets? Has anyone lost weights on entry using this system? Am I better off just using a weight belt? (The reason I ask is because Zeagle has a different integrated weight system now, so were the improvements necessary or moving to a newer trend, clip-in weight pockets?)

2. How important are the zig-zag bungies on the bladder? Are they just there to slow the inflation of the bladder?

3. There are no accessories pockets as with the new Scout. Can these be added or is there an alternative?

4. Are the current cumberbund add-ons compatible?
Pictures of the unit would really help other users offer specific comment on your questions 3 and 4 (and, probably question 1).
divinh:
The back-mounted pockets are actually quite secure. They are (probably) better positioned, from the perspective of helping establish good trim, that either a weight belt or the waist-level integrated weights seen on many BCDs.

The integrated weight system introduced in the relatively low end Zeagle BCDs now being produced since Huish acquired Zeagle do not represent an 'improvement' or even moving to 'a newer trend'- they are just cheaper to manufacture. Personally, I think such systems are inferior to the Zeagle Ripcord system, but that is just my individual opinion.
divinh:
They are not used to 'slow the inflation of the bladder'. Rather, they are intended to mitigate the tendency of a mobile air bubble to form in a less than fully inflated wing. Are they important? That depends on how much air you normally have in your wing at depth (should be a reasonably small amount), and how fine-tuned your buoyancy and trim already are. Some people have no use for the bungees and remove them altogether. Most people just get a wing / bladder that has (only) the lift necessary to support single cylinder diving.

Thanks for your reply, @Colliam7. Here are some pictures to better illustrate my questions:

1. This is one of the weight pockets on the side of the tank band. It's not the ripcord system, just a simple red pull leash to dump the weights. Velcro holds the flaps closed.

DSC02200_1k.JPG

2. This is the zig-zag bungee. Thanks for the explanation about it.

DSC02201_1k.JPG

3. These are the outside and inside views of one of the sides of the jacket. There's a free eyelet at the front. Can this be used as an attachment point for an existing Zeagle pocket accessory? On the inside, there's a slot that a cummerbund accessory could attach to?

Outside:

DSC02202_notated_1k.JPG

Inside:

DSC02203_notated_1k.JPG

I saw your pictures on the weight pockets. They look very similar to the trim weight pockets on my Zeagle Stiletto. I only keep a few pounds in those, but never had one drop loose. The trim weight pocket pictured on the Zeagle website is different from what I have in the trim position on my Stiletto. Mine has both the top and bottom velcro enclosure like yours. This system is limited to 16 lbs.

Knowing Zeagle, I'd be shocked if the accessory pockets and other items wouldn't be able to be added to your BC. They tend to standardize quite a bit so parts are often interchangeable. The cummerbund on yours looks quite similar to the one on mine, with the exception of where the ripcord is on mine. I'd have no problem ordering one and trying it out. Worst case, you may need to poke a hole and add a grommet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom