Questions on Cave Diving Equipment and Recommendations for European Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello from france! I hope you're all doing well. I'm relatively new here and wanted to extend a friendly greeting to everyone. I have a few questions that I would appreciate your insights on. Currently, I hold the AOW diver certification with 20+ logged dives. My interest has piqued in cave and mine diving, particularly mines! (The Ojamo mine, in particular, caught my eye.) I'm considering delving into fundamentals or intro to tech before taking on cavern diver training. This would be the beginning of my dark journey!

I've heard that the equipment could be quite pricey. Could you kindly advise if renting equipment for the cave diving course is possible? In other words can I start learning to cave dive without personal gear? Additionally, I'm on the lookout for cost-effective gear recommendations for European caves, including drysuits, regulators, BC, computer, etc. I'd like to be mindful of expenses and save up for my training. Lastly, any recommendations for reputable European schools or instructors would be immensely valuable. I'm aware that I'm still a bit of a rookie, so I sincerely apologize if my questions come across as presumptuous. Thank you all in advance for your guidance!

My recommendation is to dive a little more then take a fundies or ITT with a good instructor

Then come back with some more informed questions. Not knocking you, I wish I'd known about what you're asking about when I had 20 dives. Now go do 10 dives and ask again! :)

I sent the op much longer and detailed response. Perhaps I should have posted it here, but I'd suggest everyone reply with kids gloves. You were this diver once. I know I was!

you need to own your own stuff. Full stop.

Buy QUALITY used gear. I’ve bought very few things new and I’ve been at this for nearly 20yrs now.

Go take GUE Fundamentals and that will answer a lot of questions regarding your progression.

It's great OP is thinking ahead and asking questions about goals they have. I can't speak to cave diving in Finland (although looking online out of curiosity the Ojamo lime mine looks like an awesome diving for those that are suitably experienced...).
In terms of cost-effective gear recommendations for European caves, that is an extremely important but also very broad question. So speaking purely in general as opposed to digging into the specifics: 1) Invest in a quality drysuit that fits properly (even if that means custom made if, and only if, not lucky enough to have stock size fit well) and underlayers that fit well. Gain a bunch of experience diving in your dry suit. This is the one item new is vastly better than used (and don't even get me started about rental drysuits...)
2) Suitable regulators (rated to not free flow in cold water), BC (or wing, potentially choosing a setup that lets you learn side mount), computers (plural, because for cave diving and other more technical diving it's best to have mantra 'Two is One, One is None' in relation to items your life depends on...), etc a can generally be rented to start where many diving destinations are BUT you really want/need (I would say need) your own gear...
Buying items like a properly serviced regulators (and potentially computers, but that's much more "it depends" kind of thing depending on if someone has perfectly good modern computer made by a company still in business and the diver is either upgrading due to need, like CCR, or simply being able to afford shiny new electronics..) used is a great way to save money if deciding to buy your own gear.
If able to get certified in drysuit diving by an instructor with cave diving experience that would help frame more questions on steps to progress towards achieving all your diving goals... And don't forget to enjoy the process 🤙

@TAN YUCHENG

If the Ojamo mine caught your eye, the best person to talk to is Sami Paakkarinen on FB. He's a super nice guy. However, he will probably tell you that you have a ways to go in terms of training and experience. But he may offer a roadmap that you may want to follow if that is your goal.

Nothing wrong with setting big goals as long as you will put in the work and will break up that big goal with a series of smaller goals.

I knew during my open water course that I wanted to do technical diving. The advice I got was: go diving, get experience, you are not experienced enough to think about tech.
I did, I bought recreational equipment en dove, dove, dove more, dove. And after 10 months I had 200 dives and decided it was time to start tech. The same answers from others came: go diving, get experience, you are only diving 10 months and you are not experienced enough. But I read standards and with tdi you could do the 100m full trimix course with only 100 dives. And I had already 200 and was divemaster.
So I decided to buy a twinset and bp+wing and could sell my recreational gear which was only 10 months old. Just because I got wrong advices.
And I got at this time stillj wrong advices, the 200 dives where way enough to start tech according to standards, people only look at the time between open water and you want to start tech, not about the amount of experience you have (in that 200 dives it was solodiving, wreckdiving, strong currents, nightdiving, etc).

So I started using my tech equipment and signed up for an advanced recreational trimix course. And from there I went to full cave after 18 months diving (dive 390 was the quilifying dive), and full trimix after 24 months diving (dive 521 was my quilifyingdive and first 100m dive). And still people complaigned about having too less experience.

So what I want to say is that if cave is your goal, don't hide it because people think you are not experienced enough. But if you don't have own gear now, buy gear you can use for cave diving later in your career.
I have seen an open water student (not mines, I was no instructor at that time) that bought his own drysuit and twinset because his goal was normoxic trimix in 2 years. So he bought his own gear and then started diving. (but he lost interest before the 60m was done).
And try to find same minded buddies. Then they can tell you about the cave diving and they can practise with you already.
Then maybe you want to do an intro to tech course, but maybe it is not needed. But remember, it takes more dives before you can really start cavediving. But it does not mean it must take a long time. I have taken someone in an intro to cave course with the minimum of required dives of 50. And ok, the diver did not pass directly, but a few months later yes. This diver contacted me for a 'want to learn each other dive' with only 25 dives and not experience in a drysuit. When I said yes, the diver would buy a drysuit directly and do the other 25 required dives asap. So this is what happened. And a month later the diver had the 50 dives, and I had a spot in a course. The idea was all the time, if it is too much, there was no angry from the student. So if I decided she could not go further, there was no discussion. It ended in doing all the dives in the course, but no cert directly. That came later.

In my case I had to sell my wrong equipment soon after buying it, the other example of doing open water in tech gear ended in hanging up the fins before the 60m course was done. Both is possible, but you can only use every euro once, it is better to think about what you need in future before buying things you don't need anymore in future. Even if there is a risk you will loose interest before the goal is reached.

But to rent the equipment only for a course and don't have experience with it further will end in a disaster and disappointment. Not only for you, also for the instructor and other students. It is impossible to learn all the basics of the gear in just a course. If you own your own at home and want to rent for a course abroad, that is different of course. So I would advice, if your goal are mines in Finland, buy your own tech gear and drysuit and use it at home and get known to your equipment. Then maybe a cave course in France in the Lot or Jura region and then look about going to Finland for the mines. There are also mines in Germany as well. Sadly Saint meme les Carrieres is closed now.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom