Questions re Nikon Coolpix 5400 - split from images & impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Folise

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Another thought. Every review complains about "shutter lag" problems with this camera. I haven't experienced this. Have you? It is because I usually shoot at 2MB? Also, I read complaints about low light focus ability. If the light is too low I just use the manual focus. Seems to work fine. Is there something wrong with this?

Another thought. Every review complains about "shutter lag" problems with this camera. I haven't experienced this. Have you? It is because I usually shoot at 2MB? Also, I read complaints about low light focus ability. If the light is too low I just use the manual focus. Seems to work fine. Is there something wrong with this?

I haven't experienced a great "shutter lag" or at least not a greater than other much newer camera models. I think the main problem with this camera is the very...very slow card writing that, when you shot RAW, as I do, is very nasty. Could take 15/20 secs between two shots: this time underwater is really endless.
No problem with low ligth AF.
Anyway, a great "top end" camera.
Greetings.
Marcello

Marcello, thanks for the reply. Your pictures look great. Two questions. How well does the Auto setting on the YS 90 work? I struggle a bit with my Nikonos SB 105 (manual only, camera flash sensor is blocked by housing). Second, do you find a meaningful difference shooting 5 MB v. 2MB? (no card writing issued w/ 2MB) Also, can't you still take a picture even when the camera is writing to the card? thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN0129.jpg
    DSCN0129.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN0207.jpg
    DSCN0207.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 33
Hi Michael. I find a great difference between shooting at 5 or 2 mp. Shooting at 5 gives a greater definition in smaller details: this way You can, for istance, crop the picture, taking out undesired parts, still having good printing possibilities. I use RAW format that gives easier and more effective possibilities in post-production: correcting color dominance, increase/decrease contrast, light. etc.
You cannot take pictures untill the camera has ended writing the card.
The AUTO setting on the YS-90 works quite well even it is pure legend that if you set the same aperture on both camera and strobe your picture will be perfectly exposed: you have to make any tries changing the aperture on the strobe antill you get the proper exposure.
Greetings from Italy
Marcello

Marcello, thanks for the info. I will try shooting at 5MB RAW and see what happens to my prints. It sounds like using the YS-90 AUTO (hard to find today) is not much better than using my SB-105 on manual so I will stick with that. Have you tried using two strobes? I am thinking about using a cheap slave fash and putting it in a clear waterproof case.

Ciao Marcello! No parlo italiano! I just boiught a used ys-15 auto flash (F 2.8 auto sensor) and will see how that works this Christmas in Cozumel. This summer I went to Hawaii and shot 5 MB TIFF with the Nikonos SB-105. The pictures when printed really don't look much better than 2 MB JPEG. Maybe that says something about my printer. See attached. Also, I didn't notice any waiting between shots. The movie mode was great!

Attachments

• DSCN1161.jpg
    DSCN1161.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN1109.jpg
    DSCN1109.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 40
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom