Questions regarding luxury charters on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leggomyeggo:
I think I would have to say dive masters. They both are certified NAUI instructors also. Sorry you will have to excuse my lack of experience, I am a recreational guy and a lowly boat owner/captain

Jack

Just to check, by captain, I assume you mean a licensed Coast Guard Captain (I get people who call me looking for work saying they can captain a boat, turns out they owned boats or had maybe a boating safety class at one time, but not the required license), don't forget you'll need an additional Captain on board if you ever intend to dive (get off the boat) yourself and you are operating commercially.

Also, you'll need to check with the state for permitting. It's a bit of a process, plus you'll likely have to pay for commercial moorage fees (it costs $200 a month minimum just for the privelege of using the boat ramp for commercial ops here) and such.

You've got some homework ahead of you.

So you will need a capt, a DM/Inst and a cook/house keeper at a minimum. Fuel. insurance down days, weather days, nonbooked days...The margin gets real skinny in a hurry. I have wanted to try a 6/12 PAX interisle liveaboard. I found a sweet 72 footer than can deal with the channels but am having a real hard time with the 100K to build from scratch a hotel for it. Rooms and entertainment center only, galley and crew qtrs are fine as is. A couple of short months a year could kill you in this business. I just havnt been able to do say for sure I can make it go.
Nice dream, good luck!

ok...I am going to ask an unrelated question (well kinda)...but since I have another 2.5 yrs ahead of me here in HI I am curious if someone could quickly walk me through the process to obtain a Captain's license. What's the starting point?

Thanks

360 documented 8 hour sea days for a 6PAX. I think it was 720 for my 50 ton? Where and how far offshore dictates where you can go. Then the class. No matter how much of a seaman you are, it's a CG test and the questions are so bad that without a question/correct answer for all 1200 in the bank, you wont pass.

how are the hours documented? Do you need to have them signed off by a licensed Captain etc? Sorry, I am very ignorant on this.

Signed off by the legal owner of the vessel/vessels. Most are "self documented" That is that owned the boat and say they did it or get a buddy to sign off for them. People have done jail time for lying about it. Legal damages could be a lot worse if something happened.

Hmmm so let me get this straight, every time I take out the Rubber Ducky I incurr time towards a Captain's license (there has to be a vessel minimum size?)? That's scary :) And to Catherine's part below...how far can you go back...this seems like a Scuba Diver's Log Book to me--

Me: "Do you know how to dive?"

Him: "Yeah look at my log book I have 17,098 dives" (only 3 pages in the log)

Me: "Then why is your tank valve and reg facing 180 degrees from how it should?"

/hijack

I'd say it is pretty loosey goosey, on the hours. Can't you go back to 14 or something?

Lets get this out of the way. Yes I am aware of captain requirments and personally hold a 100 ton master with a 200 ton mate endorsement. Needless to say I have been to sea.

In a nut shell here is what you need for the 100 ton. 720 days of sea service time. 90 of those days need to be in the last three years on similiar vessels. 360 days need to be on a vessel of 34 gross tons or more. Gross tons is a calculation of displacement not vessel weight. Just a reference my 48 foot Egg Harbor weighing in at 50 thousand pounds has a gross tonnage of 37 tons.

As for how many captains are needed for trips, that depends on how long the boat is underway. Underway and making way are two different things and must be kept seperate from each other. A captain is only allowed to work a twelve hour shift. So any multiday trip requires two captains on board.

Now this second captain can hold just a six pack license or proper title OUPV, "operator of uninspected passenger vessel". For someone to qualify for this license the requirement is 360 days of sea service time and the gross tonnage of the vessel is not of the same importance as the 100 ton and above.

I appreciate the concerns and any questions comments whatever anyone may have. I wouldnt take my boat out for a family trip or any charter with any less safety equipment. My boats is outfitted with eight man "solas" life raft, 406 epribs, high water alarms, soon to install cameras in the engine room and of course everything required by the "Code of Federal Regulations".

I hope to take many of you someday on some trips. You can rest asured you will have a professional crew with your safety in mind first and foremost. Yes the captain is responsible for everyones safety and that is something I do not take lightly.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom