Queston for PADI instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think learning the weel is worth doing. How much you use it will depend on your diving style. Lets face it. most rec divers dive their computers and do very little planning. I have had students request a multilevel dive in AOW. And yes, I know how to use the weel. The weel gives students a little better understanding of why more dive time is usually available with a computer. It also gives us a tool for planning a dive ahead of time and giving ourselves some credit for time spent at shallower depths. The numbers will not agree with your computer. Also some computers have planning functions. I always plan and execute deep dives acording to a table (sometimes software generated) and carry a computer.

Maybe it was just my instructor - or the recency of my OW course (August '01) - but our class had to do multiple exercises planning dives with the wheel - multilevel included. My dive buddy took his PADI OW course a number of years ago - and I remember when we were together on our first dive, pulling out my wheel - and he said 'What the hell is that??'

martinjc,

You have apparently had a most rare encounter with a very unusual species PADIinstrutorus wheelius. :wink: I've heard they exist, but never actually seen one myself.

PADI requires dive planning be taught in Open Water classes. The instructor may choose whether to use tables or The Wheel (a few may even do both). Consider yourself lucky to have gotten an instructor who teaches The Wheel.

Thanks for the replies. I only asked because I thought it rather strange that in a system that places so much emphasis on back-ups and precautionary measures, it seems strange that for something as "commonplace" as dive planning, you would rely solely on your computer, or if you didn't have one, on someone who did....

Zept, I've been considering doing the Mulitlevel specialty, but wanted to find out how important it is before committing more $$$, when I could be using them for something else!

Errrr, I also should have mentioned that being meticulous about logging my dives, I get a bit antsy when I have to ask the DM for the pressure groups, instead of being able to work it out for myself! Does this stage pass?

Basically to answer your question, you be your own teacher on this one.
If you have a computer then you can make a check on the rdp before your first dive, but if you follow the computer then that is totally different from the rdp since the computer uses different values and also different formulas, then you will have to choose either the rdp or the computer, and since the computer gives you more time and is more accurate that is what you will most likely choose.

After this choise is made then you can throw the rdp out the window, its a different table and it doesnt mix with the computer.
first dive you can keep it roughly, for the rest of the dives you will be bent out of shape.

take care
dive safe

Sea Squirt, I did the multilevel dive as part of my AOW. I have mixed feelings about it... of my five dives, it's the one I got the least out of.

The PADI book ('Adventures in Diving') covers both the wheel and dive computers, but it doesn't explain how to use the wheel -- you have to go through that with your instructor -- and a lot of the dive computer stuff just tells you to read the instructions. The wheel is kind of fun (in my opinion -- seems like everyone else hates it), but they aren't cheap. Here they cost about 80 Singapore dollars, which is around 2,000 Thai baht, which seems like a lot for a few bits of plastic. If they were cheaper, I'd get one and practise using it, but as it is, I got a computer instead, and I use that alongside my tables. Obviously it cost more, but it's also more flexible.

I don't regret doing the multilevel dive, because it didn't cost much, but I can't see myself doing the second dive to complete the specialty. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Zept

PS: Having used the wheel, I understand why people are happier relying on their computers. Okay, they can go wrong, but it's pretty easy to make a mistake with the wheel, too.

and one that I have been pondering myself. Do we know how much it will cost us to do it, and why haven't we asked our gurus the same question??
:rolleyes:

:confused: Well, I've attempted to post a couple of times now and nothing happened, so we'll try this computer instead. . . . .

PADI has been making many changes to their curriculums over the past two years; some good, some bad, but the thing that PADI has done is given the instructor power to choose how they want to teach the AOW class and what types of dives they will do. Multilevel diving is usually not one that is included because of the need to use the Wheel, PADI's baby. This is an additional cost to the student that perhaps isn't in the best interest of the customer. Remember that PADI stands for Put Another Dollar In. Logistics dictate what dives an instructor will do in a particular area. In my area, the dives most commonly done are Bouyancy, Search and Recovery, Navigation (mandated by PADI), night, Deep (mandated by PADI), wreck, dry, and boat. PADI only requires that 5 dives be done and that two must be the mandated one listed above. That leaves three for the instructor to choose (or student). I can only guess that your instructor had other opportunities to present due to logistics. We all do multilevel diving on every dive, we just don't track it unless we plan for it or use a computer.

The Wheel is PADI's bad marketing move. While a lot of research was put into it, they presented it at a time when the first multilevel computers were coming out. Costing quite a bit more than a table and a lot less than a computer, many people were unwilling to purchase it. Not only was it cost prohibitive, but the very layout made some people skeptical of its usefulness. And, multilevel diving was kind of "out there," not quite mainstream and many people weren't willing to change for the better. Well, PADI has held onto the Wheel while the industry around them has changed, and for just a little more change than what the Wheel costs, one can get a pretty solid entry level computer.

Furthermore, I had not seen a Wheel until I took the DM course through PADI; I have not seen one since, nor have I used one, and I do not own one. I think that PADI has missed the boat on this; they continue to push out dated technology. A diver with a computer is better off doing multilevel diving because the computer model can calculate it on the fly. Even though the diver may have planned a rough idea of what he/she would like to do on the dive, they can make changes on the fly as necessary. The Wheel is just a fancy square profile planner; a diver must plan each level and stick strictly to that plan. The diver can not change it on the fly if something comes up underwater.

While PADI clings to the Wheel, some agencies (e.g. SDI/TDI) do not even teach the tables any longer; they teach computers: theory, safe use practices, and planning techniques. It has been shown that in the past 5 years computer use has grown; divers are staying under longer and enjoying the sites more safely due to the continued research and proven research that is put into computers. This is the way the industry is going. I'm not saying that tables are unimportant, but rather the rec diving industry is moving in a different direction.

PADI has made some radical changes lately that I do not agree are in the best interest of the diving industry. I do not agree with their philosophies of pushing marketing over safe diving practices and theories. PADI pushes the Put Another Dollar In theory, not teaching everything that is prudent for a new diver to know, but rather "If you want to learn more, please sign up for my next specialty class." There are specialties that are true specs; there are others that should be introduced in basic level scuba courses, such as Bouyancy and Multilevel. I believe those skills are used every time we dive. I see too many new divers that have crappy buoyancy; shouldn't the industry be teaching more of that skill in basic classes? There are other things I think should be included in the entry level course, but the customer want instrant gratification and we shorten the curriculum to get the customer at the sacrifice of safety. Diving is fun and excitiing, but usually less forgiving that other sports if something goes wrong. I don't think that class should be shortened, but rather lengthened to add pertainent information to increase the safety of all divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom