Quick Maui review- pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am glad you had a great time, but I have found the more you dive the more you actually respect the risk of the sport. Though, I will occasionally push the recreational limits, I find the more experiance I gain the less I am interested in going "deep" unless there is a significant reason to do so.

I would listen to your friends here and lay off the deeper stuff until you have a little more experiance. The narcosis risk to your judgement is enough reason to avoid rec. limits until you gain some more experiance.

Best of luck.

Dave

Not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but I can't say that I really enjoyed that depth. I much prefer the 100' mark. So no, I am not planning to go down that deep again. I am glad that I did though!

As to equipment failure in Dominica, Krisb, think what you want. Pressure gauge was going down slowly, and then dropped all of a sudden. I'm sure that YOU could have prevented it, but I'm not sure that a regular person could have.

Brett was the DM that day. He went down first, we followed. Would you like to initiate a congressional investigation?

I have dived with Maui Dive & Sea several times over the past 2 years.

I'm an experienced diver of 20 years, loads of dives, plenty certifications, and have dove with all manner of dive operators...

I don't know who the DM was (in this thread was referred to as "him") but each time I have dove with Maui Dive & Sea the boat was crewed by Capt. John and DM/Instructor was Emi.

Capt. John and Emi are both highly experienced and completely safe and competent.

If you have, in fact, dove with them and have experienced something else then sound off. If you are sounding off without ever diving with them, well then you are the inexperienced one.

Ohhhh...147feet. Scary.

I dove with an acquaintence in Bonaire. We went to 125feet.
When we came up he said "Did you feel that?" I said "Feel what?"...he responded "Tingling, don't you get tingling when you go that deep...I get a little narked at that depth"
I said "You know that, and you still dove to that depth-you idiot!-you could have killed us both!"
I didn't dive with him again.....

I dove with my wife, we went to 110feet-we dove a lot, but never that deep. She got so dicombobulated(sp?) that I had to take her hand and lead her back to shore-she was headed out to open ocean and was damn sure it was the right way. My compass(and me too) said otherwise. She admitted afterwards that she just couldn't remember which way we came...she couldn't focus.

My point is you don't know the affect depth has on different people....and it's not fun to find out at 147feet.

Hawaii water looks so bluueee..

I'm an experienced diver of 20 years, loads of dives, plenty certifications, and have dove with all manner of dive operators...

I don't know who the DM was (in this thread was referred to as "him") but each time I have dove with Maui Dive & Sea the boat was crewed by Capt. John and DM/Instructor was Emi.

Capt. John and Emi are both highly experienced and completely safe and competent.

If you have, in fact, dove with them and have experienced something else then sound off. If you are sounding off without ever diving with them, well then you are the inexperienced one.
I have indeed dove with John & Emi, and found *them* to be exceptionally safe divers and strong safety advocates (ask Emi about her snorkel story sometime).

That is why I found the story a little incredulous and was seeking more details.

Thanks for chiming in. I know that people jumped all over them, but they really do run a great op. In my short time diving, I have come across a few DM's that I wasn't overly fond of. Some of them just don't do a great job making you feel like everything is taken care of. I NEVER got that vibe diving with D&S.

I have indeed dove with John & Emi, and found *them* to be exceptionally safe divers and strong safety advocates (ask Emi about her snorkel story sometime).

That is why I found the story a little incredulous and was seeking more details.

I only got to dive 2 days with Emi. The other 3 days were with 2 different DM's. Both were great though, and I would even venture to say that one of them was better (for my diving style, pace and whatnot) than Emi. I can't remember if I heard the snorkeling story though. I might have to get back there to hear it. I guess it gives me an excuse!

What are you doing in Oman? I recentlly dove in Fujairah, UAE and it was just OK. Please PM me. Would love to chat!
Becca

140 is only 10 feet below 130... 25 dives is not too many, but I have seen some divers who are naturals and can handle diving deeper.... everything has to have a first time.......

Unfortunately everything has to have a LAST time as well. Hopefully it is not when doing something unnecessary or stupid.

Last edited:
Unfortunately everything has to have a LAST time as well. Hopefully it is not when doing something unnecessary or stupid.

I guess to you it seems like a very scary dive... From his description, it was a bounce dive... easy going down, easy going up... especially with an instructor....It's a huge difference for someone with 25 dives doing it solo, or with someone right there holding their hand...

I think the DM/Instructor made an informed decision and decided the diver was safe for the dive... clearly he was right. The diver had a great experience and was so happy he even shared it with us!

I'm truly glad the diver hooked up with an dive op that he could have fun with. Personally I'd hate to have some control-freak PADI cop be my dive guide...that would definitely put a damper in my diving...

Sean

I agree with Sean on the way it was handled. It was not that long ago that the max. depth for AOW was 130 ft. which allowed a student to better understand the effects Of Narcosis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom