Quickest Path to Rescue Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like the OP should go the SSI route- it's about the training, not the agency.

I must be in the minority in that I dislike teaching Rescue courses. Everyones (including PADI) says that it's great fun... blah, blah. I've found them quite stressful and exhausting.

Taking divers on deep dives without rescue skills is, IMO, nuts.

I'm a PADI instructor and I think taking divers on a deep adventure dive straight out of OW isn't a good idea either, and I don't do it. Even if it's "allowed", it doesn't mean that I "must". Maybe a 30m dive in Curacao is possible with limited experience but not where I live, and PADI would agree that I'm right to make sure divers are ready for it before I do that dive.

I often see a certain degree of "chest-thumping" about how system-X is better than system-Y and how there are no rescue skills in OW.... But it makes me wonder; if there are no rescue skills in OW then what is that OOA exercise? What is the AAS ascent? What is the CESA if not a "self rescue" skill? What are the skills for cramp removal and assisting a tired diver? What would the new "tank band" skill be? Or the skill for dropping weights? Or even the buddy check--if not a "rescue" skill, it at least teaches he most important thing about Rescue.... "an ounce of prevention". I simply can't think of a better qualification for those skills, in fact all of the "emergency" skills, than to call them "rescue" skills.

People get mislead by posts like this. Because PADI has a course called "Rescue" people seem to assume that are no rescue related skills in other courses. Evidently, even instructors seem to get confused about it.

R..

Deep is in the eye of the beholder. Technically beyond 60 ft is called deep. In NC we have a number of ocean dives that are popular with entry level divers that are in the 60-90 ft range. They are close enough in shore to avoid the bad currents but far enough out that they get some really good viz some times. I am thinking Hyde, Gill, Markham, and some others. So who knows where your diving will take you.

Depending on agency/operator they sometimes give credit for prior experience either on dives or for courses. I have seen several boats that will wave the AOW requirement if you show them a log book indicating you have the required experience. Best to check with agency/operator/instructor.

I did my rescue with SDI but cannot remember what the requirements were.

Ultimately it is your checkbook and your diving preference.

At least with SSI, to do the Stress&Rescue course you only need OWD and 8 logged dives.
To get the S&R cert you also need a valid EFR + CPR + O2 provider certification.

Concur. The OP may be confused by the chart on the PADI site, which lists two dives where it says Adventure, but these are actually two Specialties (Deep and Wreck) that you can take IF you have the Adventure cert.

I would strongly advise taking the full AOW, however, which would only be two more dives, namely Deep, and one elective. The reason is that AOW is required by some boat/resort operators to be able to go on some of their dives, unless you hire a DM to go with you as your buddy. They want to know you have at least some minimal training below 60 ft.
Show them your rescue card,they'll assume you have AOW.

---------- Post added November 11th, 2013 at 06:58 AM ----------

Good Navigation -beyond the basic out n back with a compass that OW requires.-you need to be able to navigate both woith a compass and using local landmarks.
Self sufficiency -Ie good boyancy control,good situational awareness(air etc). etc etc. -Guts is you don't NEED the DM to lead you around.
I'm sorry that you feel you need a DM to lead you around. One of the most important things that I think really increased my skills greatly in my early years of diving is that I dove in the Puget Sound without a DM leading us around. I really think that if new divers would get out and dive locally early in their dive career and also do some shore diving when on vacation, that they would learn to actually dive, instead of just being unthinking sheep lead around by the DM. There are so many skills that are learned by shore diving with a buddy and no DM that most divers don't learn when diving with the herd mentality. Navigation, buddy skills, dive planning are all delegated to the DM. You can dive for years as a group diver on vacation with a DM leading and have terrible skills without even realizing it.

Here is your "quickest", but most comprehensive & intensive Rescue Diver Course --right here in SoCal at the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber and their Emergency Response Diver Class:
ERD Objective and Outline

The objective of the Emergency Response Diver Class is to teach the efficient and appropriate responses to a scuba diving (or other type of) accident and then give students time to practice the skills over and over so they can be retained in case of an emergency. Work is done in the water, on shore, and in boats with rescues, recoveries, treatment, patient assessments, and reporting.

Course Outline:

Sunday:
Orientation
First Response

Monday:
Basic Life Support
Radio Communications
First Aid / CPR / AED
Oxygen Administration
Practice Sessions

Tuesday:
Openwater Dive #1 - Planning & Implementation
Causes of Diving Accidents
Common Diver Injuries
First Aid Practical
In-Water Rescue Techniques
Diving Practices
Drowning, Near Drowning & Immersion Hypothermia

Wednesday:
Openwater Dive #2 - Planning & Implementation
Dive Master - Supervision & Group Control
First Response
Hyperbaric Chamber Operations
Dive Tables & Computers

Thursday:
LA County Lifeguard (Baywatch) Demonstration
First Aid / O2 Therapy in Noisy / Moving Environments
Aircraft Evacuations
Patient Evacuation
First Response

Friday:
Risk vs. Benefit
Course Review - Written Critiques - Closing Comments

Certifications for First Aid, CPR, AED, Oxygen Administration, and Rescue Diver are included with the course.

24 CMEs are available for DMTs
USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber

I'm a PADI instructor and I think taking divers on a deep adventure dive straight out of OW isn't a good idea either, and I don't do it. Even if it's "allowed", it doesn't mean that I "must". Maybe a 30m dive in Curacao is possible with limited experience but not where I live, and PADI would agree that I'm right to make sure divers are ready for it before I do that dive.

I often see a certain degree of "chest-thumping" about how system-X is better than system-Y and how there are no rescue skills in OW.... But it makes me wonder; if there are no rescue skills in OW then what is that OOA exercise? What is the AAS ascent? What is the CESA if not a "self rescue" skill? What are the skills for cramp removal and assisting a tired diver? What would the new "tank band" skill be? Or the skill for dropping weights? Or even the buddy check--if not a "rescue" skill, it at least teaches he most important thing about Rescue.... "an ounce of prevention". I simply can't think of a better qualification for those skills, in fact all of the "emergency" skills, than to call them "rescue" skills.

People get mislead by posts like this. Because PADI has a course called "Rescue" people seem to assume that are no rescue related skills in other courses. Evidently, even instructors seem to get confused about it.

R..

Good points. But when I refer to no rescue skills in OW I am thinking of the big stuff, the buddy stuff. Mainly what to do when your buddy panics--on surface, at depth, or if he starts to bolt to the surface. Perhaps also if he is unconscious at depth--I know if you find someone that way it's probably lights out, but if your buddy goes unconcious right next to you -- still have to know how to ascend with him. Tired diver tows IMO, are assists, not really rescues (say so in manual). As someone prone to serious cramping, I have managed that, most of the time diving solo. Most cramps are not really serious and probably rarely lead to panic, though I would guess they can. Panic is the main thing here, and I don't see any training for that in PADI OW. Dropping weights is serious, but again, OW divers are not trained to drop their buddy's weights should the buddy panic. CESA as well is only self rescue. A majority of the main important stuff missing.

Good points. But when I refer to no rescue skills in OW I am thinking of the big stuff, the buddy stuff. Mainly what to do when your buddy panics--on surface, at depth, or if he starts to bolt to the surface. Perhaps also if he is unconscious at depth--I know if you find someone that way it's probably lights out, but if your buddy goes unconcious right next to you -- still have to know how to ascend with him. Tired diver tows IMO, are assists, not really rescues (say so in manual). As someone prone to serious cramping, I have managed that, most of the time diving solo. Most cramps are not really serious and probably rarely lead to panic, though I would guess they can. Panic is the main thing here, and I don't see any training for that in PADI OW. Dropping weights is serious, but again, OW divers are not trained to drop their buddy's weights should the buddy panic. CESA as well is only self rescue. A majority of the main important stuff missing.

So wouldn't it be more fair, and correct to say you want to see increased rescue skills included in OW? Saying there is none isn't correct at all but some continue doing so.

Sounds like the OP should go the SSI route- it's about the training, not the agency.

I must be in the minority in that I dislike teaching Rescue courses. Everyones (including PADI) says that it's great fun... blah, blah. I've found them quite stressful and exhausting.
My husband hates teaching Rescue,too.

So wouldn't it be more fair, and correct to say you want to see increased rescue skills included in OW? Saying there is none isn't correct at all but some continue doing so.

I would agree with that notion. The reason some say there are no rescue skills on OW programs is legit as well though, which is why we see time and time again on the A&I board " the divers buddy surfaced to get help and when the diver was found he /she was unresponsive( ie: dead )." It's unfortunate that many OW divers have no idea what to do with a buddy besides donate/receive air on an OOA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom