Raja Ampat & Fakfak Trip March 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beautiful images. Looks like a wonderful trip. I've done Komodo and Bali but I've got to get to Raja Ampat and Fakfak!!! Thanks for sharing.

So very nice! Like the white tip reef shark & the frogfish too. Why is it that all your shots are so sharp? ;-)

Thanks a lot, everyone... Glad yall like them! ^_^

Ed.

So very nice! Like the white tip reef shark & the frogfish too. Why is it that all your shots are so sharp? ;-)

Thanks! Maybe because I only keep the sharp ones... :D

Ed.

Absolutely breathtaking shots, Ed, I especially like your sunball/sunburst behind the crinoid.

Can you tell us more about the DIY domeport?:eyebrow:

Here are a couple of shots on my DIY dome... :D

img3475.jpg

img3479.jpg

Items used and how it's done:

Items
1 unit of Inon Dome Port for UWL-100
1 Couplings Connector (PCX 56 - 43 - 4" x 3") PipeConx

How it's done

Insert the Inon dome port into the coupling connector (larger end - 4"), you may find it difficult to do so. Use a hair dryer to soften the connector and then apply a lil bit of silicon grease for easy inserting of the dome.
Adjust the dome & coupling to level, then tighten the stainless steel banding to secure the dome.
Once the dome is securely tighten, proceed to cut the bottom part of the coupling. Cut according to the bottom part of the stainless steel banding (reason - for better and closer fit to the housing lens port). DO NOT over cutting the edge, cos the banding might not be able to securely tighten the coupling to the housing.

Now, apply a lil grease on inner part of the coupling and insert it over the OEM housing lens port (not to close to the housing - 0.5 in apart). Tighten the stainless steel banding sparingly (hand strength tighten is enough). "Ting!" Now, you have a DIY dome port for your Canon OEM G10 housing. However, there are a few precautions that you need to take for the dome to work effectively.

Precautions

1. Attach the dome in a cool and dry place, to avoid fogging.
2. Note that the coupling is semi hard and when under pressure, it tend to contract closer to the housing port. Make sure you adjust it according to proportionally during your descend. If not, the coupling tends to bend to one side. This problem is solved when you reached 8m and below.

Pros & Cons

Pros
1. You can now use the actual built in 28mm of the G10, instead of the 28mm with magnification, underwater.
2. It is an external attachment, so no worries on flooding. You can still use it even when it floods, however it will no longer be the actual 28mm.

Cons
1. Need to pay attention during descends and adjust the coupling
2. Slight vignetting at the depth of 7m and above

Well... Just like a saying, you win some, you lose some. Have fun experimenting with it and I hope the info helps. :wink:

Ed.

PS. It is your own responsibility if you should decide to try it so please practice with caution. I am NOT gonna take any responsibility for any damages or flooding under any situations, during the course of your DIY. :D

I'll chime in. There are two land based operators: 1) Papua Diving in Kri and 2) Misool Eco Resort. Both are located near great diving, but you are stuck diving that particular area.

There are at least 14 live-aboards plying the waters of Raja Ampat. Besides the Seahorse the list includes the following:

Seven Seas
Archipelago Adventurer II
Paradise Dancer
Ondina
Pindito
Arenui (new, yet to sail)
Cheng Ho (Kararu Dive Voyages)
Ocean Rover (one season scheduled)
Shakti
MSY Raja Ampat
Temu Kira
Bidadari
Putri Papua
Tarata
Nusatara

I'm comfortable recommending Seven Seas and AA II. Can't recommend the Ondina. Others have pros and cons, but mostly positive.

Why can you not recommend the Ondina????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom