Raja Ampat Question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm. Well Cathay definitely goes to Singapore, so I wouldn't recommend HK to DPS for a Raja Ampat trip at all. I'd still go through Singapore and then fly on Silk to Manado or to Ambon. I really don't like Indonesia domestic flights at all unless they can't be avoided (such as getting to Labuan Bajo or Sorong).

Speaking from coming from California as you do, Highdesert is correct..the Cathay Pacific flight via Hong Kong is the fastest, most direct way into the country. I've taken that flight several times, and you can get to DPS from LA in about 21 hours, with a 1 hour layover in Hong Kong. That Silkair ticket from Singapore is always ridiculously expensive and doesn't go everyday, plus I don't know what the timing is with Cathay coming into SIN. You can also get into Makassar from SIN or KL with Lion, Garuda, or Air Asia, and maybe others for a much lower price that the Silk ticket. Unfortunately, from prior experience, Cathay is very stingy with releasing seats for mileage use! As others have stated, Cathay and Silk are completely different alliances.

It's true that getting into Indonesia in the fastest time from California is Bali via Hong Kong. However, whatever few hours you save in your longhaul you waste in multiples in Indonesia domestic airports and in traveling on often delayed (or even cancelled) domestic carriers. I live here and have for over a decade and have traveled to Indonesia dozens of times, so I'm used to the big cultural differences in how people view "efficiency" in most SE Asia countries, and I will do domestic Indonesia segments only if absolutely necessary. To me the peace of mind of a better carrier is worth the few extra dollars it costs. I know my luggage will make it; I'm 99% sure I won't miss a connection. Air Asia is okay except for the point-to-point hassle. Garuda is passable. Lion is borderline as are the strictly domestic carriers. OTOH, there are people who actually like the risk and inconvenience, and they find it part of the "charm" of international travel. Not me. Get me where I'm going with the least hassle and most conscientious flight practices/safety standards, and I'm happiest.

In my research for our upcoming Bali/Wakatobi trip, we were looking at the Cathay flight exclusively. Until I took a look at EVA, where on the long legs you get the nicer seats (by signing up for Evergreen club, free) and it's only 1 hour more overall. We did this flight en route to Thailand in '10, very nice seats :) Closer to Business class seats. Price compared to the Cathay flight was pretty much the same.

I saw that in one of your posts Marcia :) We're going Oct. 12 for 10 days.

It's true that getting into Indonesia in the fastest time from California is Bali via Hong Kong. However, whatever few hours you save in your longhaul you waste in multiples in Indonesia domestic airports and in traveling on often delayed (or even cancelled) domestic carriers. I live here and have for over a decade and have traveled to Indonesia dozens of times, so I'm used to the big cultural differences in how people view "efficiency" in most SE Asia countries, and I will do domestic Indonesia segments only if absolutely necessary. To me the peace of mind of a better carrier is worth the few extra dollars it costs. I know my luggage will make it; I'm 99% sure I won't miss a connection. Air Asia is okay except for the point-to-point hassle. Garuda is passable. Lion is borderline as are the strictly domestic carriers. OTOH, there are people who actually like the risk and inconvenience, and they find it part of the "charm" of international travel. Not me. Get me where I'm going with the least hassle and most conscientious flight practices/safety standards, and I'm happiest.

You are missing the point I've made about cost. Not everyone is traveling on an unlimited income to be able to afford that Silk flight..or to waste all that money just to save one or two internal Indonesian flights. I'd rather fly a non-Indonesian carrier given a choice, but rather than "just save a couple hours," I'd rather have that and spend that extra 500-1000 on my holiday! Additionally, many people WANT to spend a couple of days before or after their trip in Bali..flying in/out Manado would make that iimpossible.

Is that a new route ? Never heard of Singapore - Ambon flights
Yes, it's a new route.

---------- Post Merged at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:39 PM ----------

You are missing the point I've made about cost. Not everyone is traveling on an unlimited income to be able to afford that Silk flight..or to waste all that money just to save one or two internal Indonesian flights. I'd rather fly a non-Indonesian carrier given a choice, but rather than "just save a couple hours," I'd rather have that and spend that extra 500-1000 on my holiday! Additionally, many people WANT to spend a couple of days before or after their trip in Bali..flying in/out Manado would make that iimpossible.
No, I'm not missing any points. I simply don't share your perspective.

Balancing safety records, on time departures, and missing luggage stats, versus cost, I prefer to choose safety/efficiency and spend a bit more (and it doesn't require unlimited income to opt for this choice). You prefer to choose cost.

What you are missing is that the OP has just come from Bali. While it's possible that she would want to return (I go back nearly every year, myself, and sometimes twice), she may very likely prefer to spend more time at at Lembeh or elsewhere rather than repeat Bali.

Having just experienced a cancelled Indonesian domestic flight (Merpati) where we waisted an entire day of our vacation sitting in a rather foul smelling airport we would be more than willing to pay a little extra to be safe, on time and in the company of our luggage! Just saying....

We definitely will go back to bali but probably not on this next trip. Lembeh is on the bucket list so it will be a strong consideration!

Back
Top Bottom