Ranger LTD quality issue- hose & dumps detach from bladder!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colinmiller

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hallo Zeagle

in 2007 I purchased a Ranger LTD in custom colors via Scubatoys distributor.

The other week, the main inflator house came off the bladder at the end of a twin set dive!- the bladder flooded & became useless

Upon inspection, it seems the white internal threaded disc that is glued to the inner bladder & connects to the inflator hose had become brittle for some unexplained reason, & cracked (shattered) into many pieces- see photos attaché.

After this I thought I'd better check the two other dumps.- One came of completely in my had with no effort- same symptoms !

I know others with Zeagle bcd's & none have ever experienced anything like this.

I could not find a batch number/serial number on the bcd anywhere (if such exists)

I have asked Scuba toys if they can send replacement parts (looks like a new inner 44lb bladder, as the white rings are glued to it ???), but thought Zeagle direct may be interested in my 'case' - maybe a faulty batch of these "rings" ? as I doubt after less than 7 years the plastic would go that brittle!

Regards

Colin Miller

Hi Colin,

That is definitely not something that should happen after a few years, it sounds like the bladder has been exposed to something that would cause the plastic to go brittle. We sometimes see this very very rarely and it's often an environmental factor that causes it. But no matter, we can help you out since it should not happen. Can you send me a private message with the photo you mentioned above, your email address and the person/people at Scubatoys that you've spoken with? I'll see about getting you sorted out.

Hi Colin,

That is definitely not something that should happen after a few years, it sounds like the bladder has been exposed to something that would cause the plastic to go brittle. We sometimes see this very very rarely and it's often an environmental factor that causes it. But no matter, we can help you out since it should not happen. Can you send me a private message with the photo you mentioned above, your email address and the person/people at Scubatoys that you've spoken with? I'll see about getting you sorted out.

My email address is *snip*

I emailed Joe at Scubatoys

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't go wrong with Zeagle. One of the few companies that stand behind their product.

Wow...I just read this thread.

Surprisingly, it happened to mine too.

I kind of using my ranger BCD heavily in the past three years since I am working on my marine biology degree (300ish dives)

We need to expose our gear (even ourselves) under the sun on a boat very often.

I am not sure if that is the "environmental factor" make this happened.

But I did not see any other part of this bcd went wrong.

IMG_20140608_072432.jpg

I hope I can get this replaced too.

I really love this BCD a lot.

Cheers
Colin

Wow...I just read this thread.

Surprisingly, it happened to mine too.

I kind of using my ranger BCD heavily in the past three years since I am working on my marine biology degree (300ish dives)

We need to expose our gear (even ourselves) under the sun on a boat very often.

I am not sure if that is the "environmental factor" make this happened.

But I did not see any other part of this bcd went wrong.

View attachment 186211

I hope I can get this replaced too.

I really love this BCD a lot.

Cheers
Colin

Yep Colin W- this is exactly what happened to my Ranger LTD- something must be wrong with the plastic composition of the ring "welded" to the inner bag, causing it to go brittle over a period of time. I rinse mine with lots fresh water (inside) after every dive. I my case the BCD had been dry stored (with a little air in bladder) in a cupboard for about 6 mths.
Anyway its fixed now with a new inner bag.- i'll be happy if I get another 7 years out of it.

Once again excellent service from Zeagle- was only about $100 to sort

Back
Top Bottom