RDX-550D Standard Port Wide Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My approach to uw photography has been to try and not let my expenditures outpace my skill. So, I've bought all used equipment and kind of scrapped things together. A while ago, I made the leap to SLR. At the moment, I have a Canon 550D, Sea & Sea RDX-550D, Standard RDX port, 60mm Macro lens, 18-55 kit lens, and one strobe. I'd like to try some more wide angle with something other than the kit lens.

Trying to make sense of the port chart from Sea & Sea, it seems like my only option might be the Sigma 10-20mm. Has anyone shot this lens in the standard port? Besides the obvious gain form 18mm to 10mm, is there a significant quality gain? Are there any other viable options for wide shooting with the standard port?

Eventually, I will probably get a dome port and the required adapters. For now, I'd like to continue doing things piecemeal if I can.

Thanks for any input.

I attached a shot with the 60mm macro from Blue Heron Bridge last weekend. Just because I felt like it :)

Attachments

• bhb-2.jpg
    bhb-2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 173
I don't think you will be happy with any wide angle lens behind a flat port. I would recommend saving up $ for a tokina 10-17 FE and a dome port.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

As my chemistry professor once told me when I asked him about exceptions to a particular rule "There are none" and this applies to wide angle options behind a flat port. You can do it but it will be kind of lame and not worth the time and energy. Buy a used dome port and the Tokina 10-17 and you will be good to go.
Bill

A 10-20mm lens behind a flat port would be like driving mini cooper behind a big semi-truck! You sure can do it but you're not going to like it.

The whole point behind a wide angle lens is getting wide which the flat port will not let you do. A lot of people who have done this far longer than I have agree that the Tokina 10-17mm is the best underwater fish eye lens.

IMG_1889.jpgIMG_1892.jpg

I shot these with the 650d Nauticam housing with a tokina 10-17 and a 8" dome port. I'm still learning!

My understanding is that with a wide angle you are actually taking a image of the reflection of the subject from the dome not the actual subject. You can't do that with a flat port. I shot the same camera in an Ikelite housing using a Tokina 10-17 and 8 inch dome.

Thanks for all the input. One more question - how am I gonna have time to shoot underwater when I need a second job to pay for DSLR gear :) ?

Heyyy, I know this is a few years late, but do you happen to remember if you used the same focus gear for the 60mm lens as the kit lens?
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom