RE: high incidence of SWB deaths in Hawaii among freedivers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya, I know that feeling. But I do remember as a kid skin diving in Oregon lakes with the YMCA groups and others (swim team) to depths of 30-40 feet. The lakes were pretty clear, and I did not have scuba gear to use. It got cold in a swim suit too, but I remember burying my arms into the lake bottom muck up to my armpits, and coming back with bottom muck to the raft we were using to get out into the lake. So even where the water is not so warm and clear, skin diving did occur.

The Mid-West and Great Lakes used to, and probably still do, have a lot of spearfishing for carp. I have a book dated from the 1950s which shows a lot of really big carp being speared (15-28.5 pound fish) by freediving techniques.

In Oregon, I regularly freedive to 20 or so feet in rivers, and in several coastal lakes (although, come to think of it, it's been over 10 years since I've done that--my time flies).

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom