Re-introduction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacek_smits

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been an intermittent reader of ScubaBoard over the past few years, and a less than intermittent participant. The focus of the SoCal group seems to be primarily farther South than Santa Barbara and I don't lack resources or opportunites for diving. Therefore, participation on SB was not that high on my list of things competing for my time.

So why re-introduce myself? I was reading yesterday and noticed that Rick was appointed as the Local Guide to the Ventura-Santa Barbara area. I pm’ed Rick for two reasons. It sounded like an effort of SB to venture a bit farther North and include the Santa Barbara area. I know the area reasonably well and have contacts into local dive clubs as well as a local dive store (I work through one of the LDS’s as an instructor). Therefore, I believe I can be a local resource for Rick if he’s looking for information or contacts. But, to be honest, I’m also seeing a potential benefit for my students.

Too many times I found that newly certified divers don’t continue because they lack information on local diving or access to dive buddies. Different attempts to keep my students involved, such as keeping my dive schedule online for my students, were only marginally successful. 99% of my diving is training related and not very interesting for newly certified divers to tag along despite an open invitation to all to tag along whenever they feel like it. So I took a different approach and on January 31st I opened up a web site that, hopefully, over the next few months will grow into a comprehensive database on diving in the Santa Barbara area, as well as a way to connect with the local diving community.

When I saw the note on Rick becoming a Local Guide I decided to make another effort to becoming part of SB in an attempt to see if Santa Barbara can get a little stronger representation on this board. Hopefully there can be some cross pollination between the two sites. My main reason for setting up a separate one is that it is more focused geographically which, I presume, is more beneficial to my students.

The site I started is www.sbdiving.com and it is in its beginning stages. In the end I hope it can be a useful resource for my students and other divers in the area, as well as divers who are thinking of visiting the Santa Barbara area. I have many promises from people to contribute information. We’ll see how it goes.

Have a look at the site if you’re interested. I hope that, in due time, it’ll grow into something that will sound inviting to come visit Santa Barbara for some diving. As SB ventures a little bit farther North (hopefully I can be part of that connection which is why I'm posting this here) my students will find another resource to get going in their new sport, connect up with more people than locals and find more opportunities to go diving. Hopefully I’ll also find some time to join a Wrinkles Dive or Mo2vation Dive soon. It’s always easier to make contacts in person. Anyway, to make a short story long, I'll make a new effort to get going on SB and hope it'll be beneficial in both directions.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Jacek

Hi Jacek,

Welcome back!

I'll have to go look at your site. It's sounds like it will be a great resource for the Santa Barbara area!

I hope to see the Santa Barbara area develop a stronger presence on ScubaBoard.

At one point, we considered having the Wrinkles Dives go up to Santa Barbara, but there were not many people regularly participating on the board from that area at the time.

As the group in your area grows, I know many people (including myself) that would like to come up and dive. For me, it's almost the same distance to drive to La Jolla Shores as it is to Refugio Beach.

I hope to hear more about the diving in Santa Barbara here on ScubaBoard. Maybe you and the divers you know can post dive reports in our Monthly Dive Reports thread.

See you around!

Christian

Welcome Jacek,

Your site rocks! This is the beginning of something the northern Counties have needed for a long time.

I myself have been diving down south, because I could not find enough people to dive with, to support my addiction:D I think scheduled events as well as information and discriptions of the local dive sites is what we need.

Thank you for PMing me and letting the SoCal Board know about your site. I am looking forward to meeting you and doing some dives in the near future.

Again, welcome back to the Scubaboard, and we will see you soon.

Welcome back jacek!! Glad to see you're giving SB another try. Rickster is about the friendliest diver on the planet, so you guys shouldn't have a problem building a strong network of divers. And, you have some awesome diving up in Ventura - looking forward to coming up there again!

Wherever my drysuit Guru goes, I will follow.

Besides with nothing else to whine about:baaa:

(for us landlocked in the San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valleys)

"Why do we always gotta to Orange County for pristine diving?"

I am all for traipsing down Rickster's way.

Seriously though, I have only been down that way for the Peace and Spectre boat diving, I am ignorant of any beach diving spots and would jump at the chance to dive up there.

Welcome back Jacek,

Tevis

Back
Top Bottom