An update to my status for teaching and gear related issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Not sure where else to post this, mods feel free to move.
Once again, I'm letting everyone know that I am completely retired from all aspects of the diving business, including teaching, servicing, and selling equipment.
I appreciate that some still think I am the go-to guy for some of this, but I have zero interest in getting started again in any way.
I get calls and emails asking for service, training, and gear. This happens as the weather warms and new people join and start searching for information.
I retired from ALL aspects of the dive industry in December 2022 after my doctor released me after I broke my hip. When I was rehabbing, I had a lot of time to think about what I actually wanted to devote my time and effort to.
The cost is too high, and the industry continues to move in a direction I want nothing to do with (save for a couple of entities).
I want to get away from the commercial aspects and just do a few fun dives now and then.
I'm getting older, and my risk tolerance is much lower than it was. With students, I realized I don't want any of that risk, and when I do get in the water, I prefer to be alone or with someone I trust and feel I don't have to supervise at all.
The same goes for the service end. The cost of liability insurance through a carrier in the dive industry is insane, and my old business umbrella policy is not worth carrying for the amount of business that I would do.
I would rather be out riding my bicycle, doing volunteer work with my local bike trail organization, writing, and just relaxing as I get closer to retiring from my day job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom