Readers Poll: Boat is sinking. Don SCUBA or Life Vest?

Dive boat is sinking. You have SCUBA gear ready. Do you use it or a Life Vest?

• Use my SCUBA gear and jump off.

Votes: 50 60.2%
  • Use the Life Jacket and leave my gear behind to sink with the boat.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Use Life Vest but take my mask, fins and snorkel with me into the water.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Do whatever the captain says even if I don't agree with him.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Go down with the ship.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Hope the life raft deploys and get in it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Argue with the captain about what the best thing to do is.

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tye also have a limited floatation time.
But they are orange and visible form the air.

One consideration for takig a life vest is that they are designed ensure that the persons head is clear of the water weather concious or not. this is not the case with scuba equipment.

My BC will be on a tank and my wetsuit will be hanging above it.. I might not have time to DON the wetsuit, but the BC and tank Ill have ready as quick as I'll find a life jacket. Ill don the wetsuit in the water if grabbing it is all I have time for..

Tye also have a limited floatation time.
But they are orange and visible form the air.

Their float time would be far longer than you are going to live in the water.

By law, in the United States, the life jackets must be able to float free as the boat sinks. That doesn't mean some dumbass won't figure out how to circumvent the rules, but the idea is that you won't have to grab either, the life jackets will be there for you to grab as the boat sinks.

Does that apply to non USCG inspected craft as well as the larger boats?

I voted for "Life Jacket", for the following reasons (which I posted in the other thread):

"Life Jacket, hands down. That is assuming there is even time to pass them out.

A life jacket is designed to float you face up; a BC or wing is not. Life jackets are "International Orange" with reflective tape, making them MUCH more visible to searchers than the typical black BC or wing.

The "ideal" situation would be to still have your wetsuit and booties on, and grab a life jacket and your fins before hopping into the water. That way you would slow down hypothermia and be nice and floaty and visible while waiting for (hopefully) a prompt rescue."

Although I did like Dr. Lecter's response about turning a tragedy into an opportunity for an impromptu wreck dive :thumb: :D .

Best wishes.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what the logic is behind donning a BC rather than a life jacket. Or donning nothing but exposure protection.

Quickly find and secure my PLB on me; then if there is time, go get a life jacket or BC.

In cold water (like here in SoCal), if there is time enough before having to abandon ship, I would don my drysuit. . .

My gear but not the tank. I don't want a long surface swim with that weight and drag. I'm not going to be submerging so there will be plenty of air to breathe. I'd still have my pony if I needed a small bit for some reason (can't think of why).

My gear but not the tank. I don't want a long surface swim with that weight and drag. I'm not going to be submerging so there will be plenty of air to breathe. I'd still have my pony if I needed a small bit for some reason (can't think of why).

So you'd take the time to take the tank off the BCD? I wouldn't take the time to put it on or take it off. I usually have my rig set to go so the tank would probably be on there along with the reg so over the side the whole thing goes! We're sinking times a wastin!

Side mount diver here. Since my bc won't have tanks connected to it I would make sure it had some air in it and jump in. I would grab my fins on the way if possible. Usually before and between dives my compass, mask and computer are clipped to my bc so all of that would be at hand. I would also have 3 knives, a nautilus lifeline, a large backup light that I keep rigged under the wing in the bungee. A smb and reel and a large lift bag. My bc also has redundant bladders so with all that combined I should be floaty enough and have some change to signal.

I would grab grab a life jacket if one came up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom