Reappearing River, BC, Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also consider steel 72s. They are smaller than AL80s by a bit, easier to handle, and neutral when empty(butt light like AL80s, but not positively bouyant). Pump them to 3k and they hold a decent amount of gas too :)

I swapped from AL80s to LP72s awhile back, and its been a great thing.

If I didn't have 7 al80s and 6 al40s I would. The hp100s are a function of owning 4 of them already - setup as singles right now. Its hard to reconfigure for one cave, get proficient at it, while simultaneously not converting everything for our normal diving. We tried the "DIR" way and slipping/falling or breaking a manifold trying to walk in a cave with doubles ends up being a disproportionate risk honestly. Not to mention wearing us out physically on the hike in-out.

I have to say that if I’m being rushed by a bear or a cat (especially with doubles on my back), the legal ramifications would be the last things on my mind. The shotgun would likely be the first.

I hear you; a defender shotgun is on my wish list too. Bear spray seems like a hope and prayer to me.

All you have to do is ask......:)

The major problem with this cave is two fold.

1) Its an effing long walk to get to the cave. Backmount double al80's was brutal enough. Carrying 130's is just crazy. Especially over a multi day trip. All ready with the gear we were carrying to the cave entrance each day we were soaked with sweat before the dive. Not a good thing to be when you are diving in 44 degree water

2) The effing portages inside the cave. With all of them you are scrambling up over sharp formations and loose rocks. With the gear on your back one just isn't nimble enough to regularly handle this. A simple sprain or a broken ankle would be a very serious issue to get back to the car with.

What one needs is a rig that will be flexible enough to handle the link hike in, be able to remove and replace tanks though the portages and be able to handle both shallow dives and a very deep dives.

Backmount just doesnt work without quite a bit of unneeded extra work. But for those who doubt this, we invite you to join us next visit to the cave. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom