Question Rebreather mouthpiece - hose routing design

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom_Ivan

Contributor
Reaction score
All rebreather mouthpieces I've seen have have hoses coming in from each side.
Is there any reason you shouldn't have one hose coming in from the side an another coming from the bottom?

Just thinking about ways to streamline two sidemount breathers

have one hose coming in from the side an another coming from the bottom?
I’m not sure I get it (I’m not the one whod have an answer for you most probably, but I’m very interested )
Maybe a sketch or something would help me imagine it, but all I can picture is basically a normal mouthpiece that’s rotated 90 degs
btw AFAIK (pure) sidemount rebs mouthpiece tend to both run from the same side
here is the Golem gear SM DSV for exam

Attachments

• 7C56FBD5-E3ED-410D-B6D8-43CAD8912B1E.jpeg
    7C56FBD5-E3ED-410D-B6D8-43CAD8912B1E.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 24
Here’s also an example of that in use in the Scubaforce SM SF2

Attachments

• 6C0B286C-CEDB-4A48-81B1-67638859C2E8.jpeg
    6C0B286C-CEDB-4A48-81B1-67638859C2E8.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 25
out of interest, is that what you imagined?
If so, you have some serious knack for engineering soln. /product design
Also.. by any chance you are diy-ing something? If so count me in

out of interest, is that what you imagined?
Pretty much.
Also.. by any chance you are diy-ing something? If so count me in
Certainly!
I've recently found myself exploring very low vis sumps where difficult access demands that we only bring 3L (25 cubic foot) or if we're lucky, 5L( 40 cubic foot) tanks. Its shallow diving but still somewhat unsettling being squeezed in a tight restriction with such limited air supply.
So I'm looking for a way to extend the air supply without having to bring larger tanks. Closed circuit rebreathers are unpractical.
I'm thinking that two lightweight, semi closed side mounted rebreathers might be the solution. If I could make the 3L cylinders last an hour at shallow depths that'd be incredible! Then leave the rig behind, exit the cave with just my two small cylinders and two small sorb cannisters to refill for the next day.

There’s no jaw drop reaction here sadly, color me intrigued.

disclaimer: at the moment I’m tipsy waiting for a bus home 😅; I also have 0 practical experience with a re but I’m trying to build one — let’s brainstorm this

Ill start by saying that sounds beyond dangerous; but we’re here to dream hoe to make the improbable happen.

all i can imagine right now (on the way back from a pub night :drunks: ) is an.. let’s call it oversized reg on top of these tanks; something that’s not beyond the tank diameter
that could be the “unit”

taking inspiration from ”split backmount“ rebs (like the sidewinder or the gemini; you’d have 2 units, one on each side

Its shallow diving
so am I understanding correctly this has almost nothing to do with deco?

if so, then no O2 needed; or at least you got uniform gas on your cylinders. So not all the MAVs, ADVs are needed (well maybe just one of MAV/CMF/CVF, you gotta add somehow); and ofc the sorb

given sump conditions and uncomfortable restrictions, “automatic“ delivery seems wiser (or riskier? i gotta sober up) in case you can’t reach it. In that case maybe a kiss valve (CMF) could fit here or an ADV

The bag (counterlung) is where I’m worried on how to solve that problem given the size restriction.

ill keep thinking about it; but in essence I love it; I’ll try and mess and around with some sketches.

Back
Top Bottom