Opinions on Apeks FSR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gyio

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a question on the Apeks FSR 1st stage: what do you think of it as a 1st stage option for technical diving, both sidemount and backmount?

I already have one that I use for recreational single tank diving and I am looking to move into technical diving and I am considering the different configurations. I have seen loads of posts with the Apeks DST (and similar styles from different brands), however the FSR quite unfrequent.

I was wondering how do you see it in terms of hose routing (with and without 5th port), streamlining and general bulk compared to the more common DST (or equivalent in similar style). Examples/suggestions of hose routing more than welcome!

Thanks!

Great routing for single and doubles backmount thanks to the LP ports being parallel (the DST ports are at an angle). For sidemount, I prefer DSTs for the rotating turret.

I would say I love my FSRs with the 5th port for backmount but I also had problems with the main diaphragm due to a ~2 hour surface interval ice diving when it was 5 degrees F. I replaced the diaphragm and haven’t had it happen again, but there are people who think the metal on metal design of the FSR is a design flaw.

Great routing for single and doubles backmount thanks to the LP ports being parallel (the DST ports are at an angle). For sidemount, I prefer DSTs for the rotating turret.
Do you have the standard 4 ports or you added the 5th port?

I would say I love my FSRs with the 5th port for backmount but I also had problems with the main diaphragm due to a ~2 hour surface interval ice diving when it was 5 degrees F. I replaced the diaphragm and haven’t had it happen again, but there are people who think the metal on metal design of the FSR is a design flaw.
I'd like to know more, what is the design flaw about?
5 F though is pretty cold, I am not too surprised; what was the issue? Free-flow?

I'd like to know more, what is the design flaw about?
5 F though is pretty cold, I am not too surprised; what was the issue? Free-flow?

I posted a thread about it when it happened: Apeks FSR freezing environmental seal?

There’s more discussion in a thread that is linked in my post as well. Still love my FSR’s and after getting them serviced they’ve been back to 100% reliable.

I have DS4s, DSTs and FSRs that I have used for my backcountry doubles regs at various points. I like the routing of the FSR (with 5th port) the most, with the extra angle all the LP hoses come off at the perfect angle.

I also service my own regs, and the replaceable knife edge on the FSR is a great feature for long term reliability - I had one used DS4 that I scrapped because the knife edge was destroyed beyond saving. That won’t happen with the FSR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom