Error Rebreather scooter divers sucked into dam turbines

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by the diver, buddy, crew, or anyone else in the "chain".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have wanted to dive in the Dillon Dam Reservoir in Colorado to see the remnants of the old town before it was flooded, but the thought of being swept into the water intakes for Denver has scared me out of even thinking about it.

Although I wonder if you got caught in the current flow towards an impeller/tunnel etc, would emergency inflation save you at the cost of DCS?
Worth a shot if it ever happens. DCS can be treated. Shredded can't.

Depending on the flow rate the Delta P [pressure differential] could potentially suck the article [diver?] up against the grating with such force as to either: prevent movement [thus drowning diver] or cause the article to pass through the gratings into the water pipe. Remember tree trunks are much more solid than humans.

"The search team found the divers’ equipment, including their rebreathers and DPVs, in a fragmented state, but the men’s remains were not found until the following day, downstream of the dam."

This statement from the article is unclear.

Plus, don't get me wrong, I was not saying that even with the trash racks would it have been survivable, just saying that large items passing through would have been difficult.

If the rebreathers and DPVs were found upstream (as in being lodged in trash racks) and the human remains downstream, that appears to be entirely plausible.

Since "The search team found the divers’ equipment, including their rebreathers and DPVs, in a fragmented state" I take it that those units went thru the turbines as well, not found upstream.

Since "The search team found the divers’ equipment, including their rebreathers and DPVs, in a fragmented state" I take it that those units went thru the turbines as well, not found upstream.
As I indicated, not clear. Mechanical items repeatedly circulated against a trash rack may not pass through but could clearly be fragmented.

I wonder if they'll ever recover the bodies. Whole, or in pieces. Absolutely gruesome to ponder on.

the men’s remains were not found until the following day, downstream of the dam."

If i understand this correcty, and I hope I don't.

The soft bits went trough the grate, the rest did not.

If i understand this correcty, and I hope I don't.

The soft bits went trough the grate, the rest did not.
A grate was not mentioned to exist. There was some discussion about some dams having those, but we don't know if this one did.

It's in Europe, all intakes have to have a grate and a silt trap by law. Not to protect people but to protect the infrastructure. A large log or a piece of trash could criple a very expensive turbine.

It doesn't say that the gear remained upstream. They (their equipment) were found in a fragmented state, presumably from passing through the turbines.

Back
Top Bottom