Rec Vs. Technical???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK ... so it looks like my example is not very realistic... So lets say I was going to go to the Car Ferry and the wreck sits at 90-120. Descend to the sand at 120 but most of the dive is at 100ft. With Twin back gas at that depth I can probably get 35 min of bottom time. lets say I have 2 stage bottles. So I could have up to 3 different gasses.

Can you do that with out going to trimex? IF you stayed with Nitrox what would your deco stops look like?

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 04:38 PM ----------

Look at your PADI Nitrox cert. You are only qualified to use 40% Nitrox max. For tech (Advanced Nitrox), you would be qualified to use 100% O2 for accelerated deco.

Look at the DSAT or TDI website for the Tech course progression. Tech is something you don't want to take shortcuts.

Totally understand... No shortcuts here... trying to figure out based on the dives I have near me if it is something I should invest time and money into. there is a lot of cool stuff in LM but most of it is about 100 ft. most of the shallow stuff has been raised or blown up to avoid ships from hitting it.

OK ... so it looks like my example is not very realistic... So lets say I was going to go to the Car Ferry and the wreck sits at 90-120. Descend to the sand at 120 but most of the dive is at 100ft. With Twin back gas at that depth I can probably get 35 min of bottom time. lets say I have 2 stage bottles. So I could have up to 3 different gasses.

Can you do that with out going to trimex? IF you stayed with Nitrox what would your deco stops look like?

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 04:38 PM ----------

Totally understand... No shortcuts here... trying to figure out based on the dives I have near me if it is something I should invest time and money into. there is a lot of cool stuff in LM but most of it is about 100 ft. most of the shallow stuff has been raised or blown up to avoid ships from hitting it.

Stage bottles are there to extend bottom time, you wouldn't need them for that dive, nor would you be doing trimix. For a dive like that, you would need doubles and an al40 of 100% O2. Which is essentially standard tech, with intro, advanced nitrox, and deco procedures.

You're clearly in over your head. Get some proper training mate. With the right nitrox mix, you could easily do 35 minutes at 100 feet without incurring any deco obligation whatsoever. 32% will you get 30 minutes.

OP, our typical dive in Lake Michigan in the 120'-150' range is around 25 - 45 mins bottom time. Deco time depends on the length of BT, which deco gas we are using (50%, 100%, or both), the water temps - typically 39*f - 46*f, surface conditions, and how we are feeling about all the above. Total run times tend to be in the 60-90mins range. Deco in cold open water is mind numbing and seemingly endless at times. Start with AN/DP or equivalent and try to meet some local tech divers.

Sent via

I have my Drysuit Cert and looking at a dry suits now... I am always hot but at those depths I will need one. I have plenty of tanks right now I have 10 AL80. If I was going to do doubles I would need to add a couple more but I already have 2 dedicated nitrox tanks, I would need probably 2 more regs just so I can have 2 sets of doubles and 2 sets of stages.

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 04:50 PM ----------

OP, our typical dive in Lake Michigan in the 120'-150' range is around 25 - 45 mins bottom time. Deco time depends on the length of BT, which deco gas we are using (50%, 100%, or both), the water temps - typically 39*f - 46*f, surface conditions, and how we are feeling about all the above. Total run times tend to be in the 60-90mins range. Deco in cold open water is mind numbing and seemingly endless at times. Start with AN/DP or equivalent and try to meet some local tech divers.

Sent via

Jack thanks that was what I was looking for.... I am looking to see if this is something im interested in.

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 04:50 PM ----------

Sent via

Jack thanks that was what I was looking for.... I am looking to see if this is something im interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Octopusprime. I felt the same way you do now. I took tech to stay down longer, not necessarily deeper. Tech will not be cheap. Buy the right gear the first time will save you money in the long run. But again tech is not cheap.

tobone1004 gave you a general run down of equipment.

Take time to find a great instructor in your area. Ask the board for recommendations.

Taking tech was one of the best decisions I've made with diving.[/FONT]

I and looking at some LM Tech/Rec and would suggest you look into some info on what the PADI 40, 45 and 50 classes are all about. I found this to have some useful information and links. Technical Diving - Aquatic Adventures You may want to talk to a local instructor or shop such as DRIS.

I and looking at some LM Tech/Rec and would suggest you look into some info on what the PADI 40, 45 and 50 classes are all about. I found this to have some useful information and links. Technical Diving - Aquatic Adventures You may want to talk to a local instructor or shop such as DRIS.

I have been talking to DRIS they are great... however they also keep saying yea you will love it because they see the $$$$

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 04:55 PM ----------

Octopusprime. I felt the same way you do now. I took tech to stay down longer, not necessarily deeper. Tech will not be cheap. Buy the right gear the first time will save you money in the long run. But again tech is not cheap.

tobone1004 gave you a general run down of equipment.

Take time to find a great instructor in your area. Ask the board for recommendations.

Taking tech was one of the best decisions I've made with diving.

Thanks great feedback.... I have multiple options for instructors. DRIS is one possibility and I have another Dive shop I go to as well and an independent instructor I have built a good relationship with.

Last edited by a moderator:
DRiS doesn't make their money from classes, they make their money from selling a **** ton of gear, classes are a necessary evil for them, but they really don't make that much money from them.

You can do your original profile on nitrox, EAN28 is perfectly adequate for up to 140FFW, and EAN30 is perfectly fine for 120FFW, the issue is the amount of gas you have to take for those dive times and the decompression obligations you'll incur doing those profiles.

50% is overkill for these profiles, carrying back gas and 100% is perfectly fine, but with three AL80's you're limited to about 40 minutes of dive time at 136FFW, which will cut your deco obligations significantly.

You're clearly in over your head. Get some proper training mate. With the right nitrox mix, you could easily do 35 minutes at 100 feet without incurring any deco obligation whatsoever. 32% will you get 30 minutes.

Rivers according to nitrox slates 100-110 ft is for contingency planning only, and my original post was about extending bottom time about avoiding LONG deco stops. If I can take some courses and get some extra gear I would be interested in taking some tech classes. I'm NOT looking for a forum tech course.

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 05:42 PM ----------

DRiS doesn't make their money from classes, they make their money from selling a **** ton of gear, classes are a necessary evil for them, but they really don't make that much money from them.

You can do your original profile on nitrox, EAN28 is perfectly adequate for up to 140FFW, and EAN30 is perfectly fine for 120FFW, the issue is the amount of gas you have to take for those dive times and the decompression obligations you'll incur doing those profiles.

50% is overkill for these profiles, carrying back gas and 100% is perfectly fine, but with three AL80's you're limited to about 40 minutes of dive time at 136FFW, which will cut your deco obligations significantly.

Thanks TBone... That's what I was looking for .... I Went in to DRIS and was asking about this and they say the $$$$ from all of the gear I would have to buy... I am looking at drysuit at our world underwater. They had a deal last year for free undergarment and replacment seals. But then you look at going to doubles valve and bracket, wing, and... And .... And ... And ... And...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom