Recalled Scubapro regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keilidh

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

John Bantin from DiverNet http://www.divernet.com/gear/dtst798.htm states that Scubapro regulators are made either in the Italy factory or the Mexico factory. The European market gets the Italian production while the US market gets the Mexican production. Is this true?

He also states that 1,800 US-market (Mexican-made) G500 regulators were recalled a few years ago because of a manufacturing defect. However, the Italian-made G500 regs did not suffer from the problem, and were never recalled.

I have an G500/MK20UL, and my wife has an S600/MK20, and both have 'Made in Italy' written on the mouthpiece, and CE 0098 EN 250 written on the reg moulding. Do the US regs have the same written on them?

Does it really make a difference where your Scubapro reg was made?

Regards and safe diving....

Hi there,
I don't know about the regulators. I live in Mexico and do know that the BCD's are made here. (One of the LDS owners told me that the ProSub BCD's are made in the same factory. But I couldn't confirm it.)
But, we can't buy them. They have to be exported and then imported back to here.
Pretty screwy huh?

Have fun and dive safe,
Vettster

Hi,

It really doesnt matter where your equipment is made, whether in Mexico or Italy. Scubapro has their quality control system that is the same in different locations. I have equipment made from both countries and they are all working fine.

Its good to see Scubapro or any manufacturer that identifies and corrects any product defects/problems at minimal cost or no cost at all at the least possible time!

Keilidh

I have a small ScubaPro shop on Johnston Island in the Pacific. All the ScubaPro regulators that I sold have come from Italy. ScubaPro's BC's do come from Mexico.

If memory serves, the G500 first or second version had a problem with the V.I.V.A. knob coming out of the regulator on extremely rare occasions. If there is any dought in your mind, take the reg to a ScubaPro dealer and have it checked.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Re: Scubapro x650 recall- I understand that in additio to the break or bump , there is a color difference with the recalled/defective regs. Is this correct? Have been offered a MK 25- x650 for a good price. Well cared-for & 30 dives. I am still concerned. Best advice?

With regard to the X650, the only thing I am aware of is the small bump indicated on the recall notice on the SP website. Also, the recall involved only about 700 units in total and many of them were intercepted before they left the distribution system.

And even if you buy a recalled X650 second hand, it's a recall and they will replace it separate from any warranty coverage that woudl not extend to the second owner. I would not be worried about it.

I second the observation that SP regs come form a factory in Italy. BC's are made in Mexico, but not regs.

The earlier US made G500's are considered to be one of the sweetest breathing second stages SP ever made and are preferrable to the current S600. The later Italian produced G500's were still very good, but not quite to the same standard as the US made G500's. US versions use a black rubber purge cover while the rubber purge cover is grey on the Italian versions.

The recalled G500 (yes, the VIVA knob could pop during a dive) were those with a serial number equal to or less than 13497450--or so this is what I found in the official announcement that popped up on a google search.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom