Recent events

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
in light of recent events I am well aware that there are many new travel restrictions. I can't even carry a small pocket knife any more. I would never have considered carrying my dive knife on carry on. For those of you who are flying somewhere soon let us know what you can and can not carry on. I am namely interested in regulators. I know some airlines would and some wouldn't let you carry them on before the incident but will that go to all airlines requiring them to go into checked baggage.

I'm going to coz soon and I STRONGLY prefer carrying my reg bag in my hands.

Thanks yall

Tom

Ha Ha, we were flying to Key Largo on Midway, which just folded completely. Lucky we will/should be getting a full refund. I have heard come airlines will not be letting any carry on baggage at all. Something else we are looking at is potential wait times for newly installed security check systems and the better safe than sorry delays to secure the planes. This could wreck havoc on flights that change over mid journey. We are not going to fly now since their are no other direct flights from NC to Largo, we are looking at driving or maybe just going to the springs.

Tommy

Tom....same thoughts occured to me since I'm headed to NC the first part of October. So I too am interested in responses.....

Natasha? Any input?

While most of my business is done with Cruises, Dive spots, and International travel, we still had a small amount of domestic travel interuped. I was also traveling next week.
The event in (New York) has been cancelled. I am also going to Florida the first week in October.
This is what the airlines are sending over the fax machines to us.
E tickets need to be turned into hard copy tickets now. This can be done at local ticket offices, the airport, and your travel agency.
They are asking that we tell clients to get to the airport 2 hours prior to departures. I think 3 is even better, but I know that's asking a lot.
Security will be tight. I'm sure you already know there is no curb check in anymore.
Our feelings here are that the airlines will have to have a major price war to get people back on planes. After this they will have to reduce how many flights they offer. It will not be profitable to have so many planes flying empty, or even half full.
So with less flights offered they will most likey end up bringing the prices back up and flying with fuller planes.
This is only our "feeling" here.
There have been updates daily. I'll report anything I think you might not already know.

Something I hadn't considered. I know many people like to travel with zip ties on their bag, but you can't carry any form of a sharp instrument on the plane. Scissors included. This was pointed out at a LDS to me today. I guess you could carry scissors in an outside pocket if your luggage has one. Otherwise.... luggage locks?

Tom

I've flown in Canada, US, Far East, Middle East, Europe.

In every contry I've flown out of, the restricitions are akin to what the FAA is prompting. In Israel it is even worse (or better - depending on your POV). Most of my experience is England, France, Switzerland, and Tel Aviv.

Never any curb side checks. No rent-a-cops, its all federal or military. Checking luggage the night before is common. El AL runs all luggage through a Bomb proof preasure chamber - reduce presure and temperature for triggers. Explosive, Power, and Vaseline sniffer tests. No knives or pointy metal things of any kind is common. Three - four hours at the airport before flight (only two hours before if you pre checked you luggage). If your luggage gets on a different plane than you (usually a baggage handling mistake) EVERYONE gets off of BOTH plans and claims and rechecks the baggage. (been there done that!) Nobody other than passengers past the security check. Random full checks. If you transfer in Zurich to Tel Aviv, all the luggage is removed, all claimed, all opened and searched by hand, while under the watchful eyes of Federal Police all armed with SMGs. Metal detectors and SMGs at the boarding gate as well. Hnad luggage always check if the sniffer or the X-ray things see anything other that undies. Always SMG armed cops (in Heathrow they were army) and always armoured vehicles somewhere on the tarmac.

But somehow, it is always done very politely and firmly.

At least the food and beer is usually better on European carriers than US carriers.

Hey tom.

Bring some extra zip ties in case your luggage is searched. All hotels (and I assume Dive shops and charters) will lend scissors to open luggage.

Makes it easy that way.

Tom,
I just had a chance to re read your post. It's pretty crazy here today. Our second airport here in Chicago, {Midway} just had a "Lock down". This means no one in, no one out. It's a mess.
But anyway, as far as your reg question, and lock question goes, here is what I will say.And about the scissiors.
Call the airline directly and ask them. I know that may sound like a cop out, but it's really the best thing to do.
I don't know which airline you are on, so here are some numbers.
Amercian 1 800 543-0460
Continental 1 800 525-0280
United 1 800 241-6522

........ but who knows. My son was supposed to fly to Kansas next week. He is considering taking a train whether he can get a refund for his plane ticket or not.
Debbielou and I are headed for Grand Bahama at the end of October. Two Airlines still owe us $$$ (refunds because of experiences on previous trips). Rather than use it, we are seriously thinking about driving to Florida and Taking a ship over to Freeport.

Please be careful.

Tavi

Tom,

I am scheduled to leave for Maui next week and have had the same genuine concerns. We normally use zip ties on our luggage and when we get to our destination use a nail clipper to undo them.

My plans now are to still use the zip ties but to put my clipper in an outside pocket not "zipped" on my check in luggage.

I am also hoping to still carry on my reg and camera. We plan on getting to the airport 4 hours before the flight so that we have enough time to get thru the checkpoint and if we run into any problems with the reg then that will allow us enough time to go back and check in another bag with the reg. Hopefully they will see that it is nothing more than my life support equipent.

I will be returning around the first of October and will post my experiences at that time. However, it should be pointed out that every airlines will no doubt have their own policies and procedures and not to sound "one way" it would behoove you and others to check with your respectful airlines to see what new security procedures you will encounter.

On a lighter note, like most people on this board and around the country I have been glued to the idiot box soaking in any and all info put out by the reporters but it is time to go out and get a life and get wet, so I am going diving this weekend to our beautiful peaceful underwater world.

Peace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom