Recent Feedback on Cocoview (2003 vs 2006)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We went last May and this past Oct...no problems...as another poster commented it was bad milk/cheese products from a certain vendor and several other resorts had the same problem...CCV remodeled their whole kitchen a little over a year ago and put in a walk in cooler and a reverse osmosis machine...all is well ..just by pass the tap water for drinking or brushing your teeth...we will be returning this May only about 3.5 months woo hoo.... of course as you know this thread is 3 yrs old.

herman:
Ahhhhh bleep!! I usually catch the old dates. Guess they figured it out by now. :)
Yeah, I noticed the thread date right away as I understood the problem was solved long ago...
Panama Jack:
I was ill the last week I spent at CCV in August 2003. I would like to go back, but the food was the cause of my stomach aches (and my wifes) on that trip. Has anyone had a recent experience?
oly5050user:
was supposed to be the cheese used in the meals that made everyone sick..island wide problem.
As long as you don't use the tap water to brush your teeth, if you get ill - it's more likely to be something you had when you left or acquired on the plane ride down.

We'll be in CCV May 27 to June 3. Curious if any other SB members are going to be there that week. PM me if you are.

If this or a similar thread is current when we get back I'll post on the experience. We plan to take lots of Cactus juice and be careful on the water.

Jim

Jim

If this or a similar thread is current when we get back I'll post on the experience. We plan to take lots of Cactus juice and be careful on the water.
Have a great trip, but when you get back - post a trip report in a new thread, this forum. A lot of divers here go there and will find it interesting.

Wear your seat belts on ground transportation - the most dangerous part of any trip. :wink:

Aside from all of the great information given already, another trick to maintaining intestinal health while traveling is to start taking active acidopholus tablets (my chiropractor gave me a Nuwest product called ProBiotics) or eating high quality yogurt before and during your trip. Getting plenty of good cultures in your system can help in the transition to other foods and changes in water. I also travel with a Brita sport bottle with a built in filter as added insurance that the water I'm drinking truly is filtered. Sometimes the 5 gal. bottles on stands just don't look like they were sterilized before they were refilled!

No problems with TD until the night we went out to Gio's to eat, then some folks had problems.

I personally treated, then filtered (through charcoal to get out the chemicals from the treatment) all the water I drank until I was done diving. Also did not eat any fruit I didn't peel myself until I was done diving. My other half ate and drank everything he wanted and had no problems, so it's possible I was overly cautious.

I don't think a Brita filter would help with these intestinal problems, but perhaps a medical professional could address this. I'm certainly not one.

Also, I've never heard of using Lactobacillus acidophilus to counter other bacterias. Would like to hear what an MD says about this. We all have the acidophilus living in our intestines and helping to create a lovely environment for the completion of digestion, but does it repel other bacterias?

Escherichia coli bacteria or something like it often causes montezumas revenge, but is living happily in the intestines of locals in the countries where it occurs. Just as the acidophilus does in ours. If eating yogurt acts as a prophylactic in our bellies, then that's pretty cool.

I've always kept lomotil on hand and it works wonders. I reccomend asking your physician for a script for some before any trip outta the country or just to have on hand. I only go to it once a year or less, but at those times, it's priceless.

Is bottled water easy to come by at CCV? I'm headed that way and had not thought about having to brush my teeth with it.

Back
Top Bottom