Recomendation for sidemount operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
I need to do some open water sidemount dives with my dive club. Does anybody know an operator that can accommodate uncommon sided valves?

I think that most operators that accept side-mount divers still only provide common side valves. However, a proficient side-mount diver should be able to handle diving with 2 common side valves when renting.

no problem on the mainland thats for sure. it might take some doing to find then on coz. most shops dont know much if anything about sm there.

For recreational open water sidemount it's really not an issue using un-mirrored valves.

Reactions: L13
Training situation, trying to replicate actual gear if possible.
i agree.
i know for me, when i did my first trip using my own gear, i wanted to keep things as consistent as possible. it was not a matter of "could i make it work". i wanted to get as much practice as i could with the same configuration i used at home.
if i was doing a course of some type, i def would want to be using the same set up i normally use.
i am not sure if this is possible on coz, but i did bring my own valves on one trip to the caribbean and the dive shop allowed me to replace theirs with mine for the time i was diving with them.
i think most shops on coz get tanks from the local compressor station, but not all. perhaps you may be able to find a shop that will allow you to use your valves if they do not have what you need.

no problem on the mainland thats for sure. it might take some doing to find then on coz. most shops dont know much if anything about sm there.
I routinely dive SM with Roberta's Dive Shack in Coz, but they don'e have mirrored valves. I suspect you are right that few if any will have mirrored valves. The times I have crossed to the mainland and dove cenotes, mirrored valves were available.

Back
Top Bottom