Recommend a Rental Car Company in Playa del Carmen? Hotel in Tulum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WicketsMom

Contributor
Reaction score
We are going to swim with the whalesharks in Holbox, then fly down to Playa del Carmen to pick up a car and drive to Tulum in a couple of weeks. Can anyone recommend a reputable and reasonable rental car company? Checking online, it looks like getting one at the airport is much more expensive than an off-airport site, but hopefully they could pick us up at the airport.

Any other helpful dive/hotel recommendations for the Tulum area would be appreciated as well. We'll just have two days and nights in the area, and may spend one in Tulum, then go over to Cozumel for the last night.

Thanks!

I guess I am confused. How are you going to "fly down" from Holbox to PDC? Will you have a private plane, and land at the Playacar airport?

Plus, is Tulum your planned destination, or are you looking for diving opportunities while you are in the area?

If you are sold on picking up a car in PDC, I highly recommend Avis (which you can book on-line), which has an outlet right on the main highway through PDC, although I do not know how you get from Playacar to the Avis location.

Have you done this trip before, or are you filling in the blanks?

I use Easyway: Easy Way Cancun Car Rental: your Cancun Airport Rental Car

Low rates, low cost insurance package, no drop chargers to many other cities, free pickup at your hotel so I guess they would pick you up at the airport. Now they are still a Mexican rental agency with the usual cautions, I can think of many, but they're ok.

I don't think Tulum is known for it's scuba diving. Lovely beaches, including the one below the famous ruins, and there is a snorkel site famous for turtles. Cenotes nearby.

I use Easyway: Easy Way Cancun Car Rental: your Cancun Airport Rental Car

Low rates, low cost insurance package, no drop chargers to many other cities, free pickup at your hotel so I guess they would pick you up at the airport. Now they are still a Mexican rental agency with the usual cautions, I can think of many, but they're ok.

I don't think Tulum is known for it's scuba diving. Lovely beaches, including the one below the famous ruins, and there is a snorkel site famous for turtles. Cenotes nearby.

We are coming down in my friend's private plane. Flying into Cancun (to clear Customs) then over to Holbox for a day with the whalesharks. Spending two nights on Holbox, then flying down to PDC - no airport available in Tulum. My friend is going to look at some land in the Tulum area, but we are hoping to pick up a couple of dives somewhere along the coast and hopefully spend one day and night in Cozumel. We've done about a dozen trips to Cozumel, and hit the cenotes once, but this is the first time to try the whalesharks and go as far south as Tulum. The first two days are scheduled and booked for Holbox, but we're just going to see where we end up for the last two days. Of course coming in a small plane the weather has a much bigger impact on our plans too.

The way that Easyway's site loads, it looks like they may be at Cancun only but they have an office in PDC and should be willing to pick you up at the airport. It's maybe 5 blocks from the ferry if you do go to Coz and returning - the taxis will be glad to take you to the airport, but negotiate rates!

They use golf carts on Holbox but it is amazing how much they can get on one.

For diving around Tulum check out Maya Diving. They do both ocean and cenotes. It is a very professional outfit. They have 2 shops, 1 at Dreams Tulum hotel and 1 at Crucero located in front of the ruins. Although its not Coz there is still some nice diving. Coral canyons up near Xel-Ha and swim throughs etc. Contact Tim and let him know what you would like and he will set it up for you.

Here is their contact info Maya Diving: PADI Gold Palm Center for Diving in Tulum, contact and location information

Thanks DD! Got a car reserved from Easy Way via their PDC office.
I do hope it works out well for you. It is still a Mexican rental agency so all of the usual cautions are in play. Got good maps?

Back
Top Bottom