Recommendation for Certification in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reneeg255

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm heading to Central America for two months and want to go to Belize to dive. I am not certified and would like to do so.

If anyone has any recommendations of a good outfit in either San Pedro or Ambergris Caye I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

Renee :D

check your messages, i sent you one! :)

Renee - several good operators here to train you. But you are FAR better advised to start your training at home. At the very least get the manual and associated bits & pieces and do all you can on them. Next option is to do everything bar the actual dives with a local dive center. Or of course do the entire course at home, including the dives, so you can just dive when you're here. Trouble is that that may mean (depending where you live) some pretty cold dives!

I work with people to help them do it the first way (all the academic work at home, leaving all water work for Belize). PM me if you'd like to talk about any of the options.

Renee,

Go with what Peter suggested, it will save you a lot of time and be more fun. I did all of my classwork and pool dives at home and got a referral for my checkout dives, which I did in St. Thomas(my friend Aitch owns Blue Water Divers); was really great.

Also, I have dived with Protech and they are a good center that will take great care of you. Do your basic work at home and take more time to see Belize, its a beautiful place.

Good luck and enjoy.

Dive Samrt; Dive Safe - Maresman1 :14:

I have dove with Peter and would highly recommend him. On the other hand I would also recommend getting certified at home so that I could dive on my vacation and not have to work. Especially since your profile says you are from Florida, a great place to dive.

ScubaBabe22 - Thanks for the message, I replied.

Peter - Thanks for the advise on training at home, I emailed a local place this morning to see if I can get in a class prior to my departure. Unfortunately I waited till close to the last minute and am not sure I can get in a class. I live in Florida (so no worry about cold dives :wink: and it is hopping with tourist right now.

MaresMan & Pir8 - Thanks for the input. I hope to at least get the coursework and pool stuff done prior to my departure if time permits as it would be a waste of precious Belize time not to do so.

I did my advanced open water in Belize with Ramons on Ambergris Caye. The instructors were excellent. At least do your course at home and then you could do your referal dives in Belize.

Renee - if you really are up against time limits then buy a PADI OW manual, RDP and videos from a local PADI shop and study them all at home. Don't worry if you don't know what these terms mean - they will and you will once you've watched the videos and read the manual.

Do the Knowledge Reviews at the end of each of the five chapters (use separate sheets of paper, don't ruin your manual) and bring them with you. Better still, do them in emails and send them to your chosen dive center ahead of time.

Then, when you arrive there'll be an hour or so reviewing the KRs and chatting about diving generally, a half day spent in a pool or shallow water (your holiday's already started!), and two half days spent doing actual dives. The only classroom work will be the exam, which takes an hour or so and can be over a beer or two after the day is over.

The other benefit of this is that it won't cost you any more than doing the complete course with one dive center. Doing any form of referral means paying two dive centers, which always works out more expensive.

This really is the most painless way to learn to dive, and takes the minimum time out of your holiday. The four training dives are at sites that people choose to dive at anyway, and you'll see the same sharks/rays/turtles/groupers/etc that they will.

How about registering for the PADI Online course and just doing the pool and OpenH2O dives there?

Trouble is you give PADI $125 for the privilege, and that doesn't even get you a paper manual. I don't see any advantage over the way I've been doing it for years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom