recommendation reflex camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I switched from an Oly 5050 (live view only) to a DSLR a few years ago and in 100's of dives I have never once missed the live-view. I am planning on getting a D300 next month and I am really hoping the live-view feature can be turned off to save battery life.

Megapixels are actually meaningless (IMHO). What sets the DSLR's apart from the compacts is superior sensors, no shutter lag, larger buffer, less noise and superior AF.

Dave

Dave,

Want to sell your D200 body when you get the new 300?

I shoot Nikons, both D200 and D80. The D80 is the camera I use underwaer, and I feel that it is easier to use in a housing than the D200. The prime reason is the simple dial for modes on the D80--one control changes modes simply and effectively. You need to push a small button and simultaneously rotate another knob to do the same thing with the D200. Plus, the D80 is lighter, a bit smaller, and cheaper to replace if damaged. Although they use the same 10.2 chip, the RAW files are different and required different software. I don't think the D300 is a significant enough improvement to justify the cost, but Nikon will surely introduce the D300 as a plastic body model (D90?) soon. I've found the D80 in the Ikelite housing a nice match--much smaller and lighter than my old N90/Ike combo. The little Ike 125 strobes are great as well and save a load of weight from older strobes. It's not really fair to compare a 10mp compact with a 10mp DSLR. Image quality is not predicated on the number of pixels, at least not beyond 10mp. It's the glass that makes the picture, and the DSLR enables you to use top quality lenses. Of course, the disadvantage to a housed DSLR is the size and weight of the rig, but they're the only way to go for top quality and flexibility.

BTW, you mentioned Nikonos. I don't believe there's a housed system at any cost that can compete in quality with the Nikonos/15mm combo for wide angle. There's just no way to match a lens and port to equal the edge-to-edge sharpness of a water contact lens. Even so, I haven't taken my Nik out of the bag for over a year now. -Clay

To the OP. I think that the DSLR market is actually all quite similar at any given price point. I.E. you'll probably be happy with whatever you get between the main players. The choice might come down to feature differences. For instance, Canon doesn't put the Image Stabilization technology in their cameras, they put it in the lenses. So, if you want IS capability you might be better to consider Nikon/Sony. On the other hand Canon stuff tends to be slightly cheaper across the board, bodies, lenses, housings, everything. There's really not much in it though as far as I can see.

FWIW I bought the Canon Kiss X (Rebel XTi/Eos400D). I chose that after reading loads of reviews, especially at Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ. YMMV.

To address the original question...

I'm in the same position, I have been using a Canon A640 (which flooded on my last dive in the Philippines a few weeks back) and, whilst I'm very happy with the images I took with it, I do want the superior image quality that only a larger CCD - like the ones found in DSLR's, can produce.

I played with a canon 40D in a camera shop last week, and the live view is nice, but as someone pointed out, it doesn't let you use AF whilst in live view. Very annoying. Kind of defeats the purpose for underwater use, the Nikon D300 will probably have similar problem. I am looking at these 2 cameras, as I would rather go with live view than spend an extra $1000 on a viewfinder. I am one of these blind people...

Now that I know more about live view and the way the new Cameras work, I am actually tempted to drop myself back to a Nikon D80 or Canon 400D, and spend the $$$ I save on glass.

Whilst it is true that DSLR's are going to cost you more in every way, WELL composed shots, that are correctly lit etc WILL look far better. Just as the shots on my A640 with an Inon strobe look better than my pics on my old Pentax S5i with internal strobe only.

The other thing - about being stuck with one lens - sure, you are stuck with macro or wide angle for the whole dive, but, in general, I KNOW what sort of dive I am going on to begin with.

I don't go to Macro heaven locations like Cabilao expecting to see a Whale Shark, and when I dive Monad Shoal in Malapascua, or the Yongala wreck on the Great Barrier Reef, a wide angle is a pretty safe bet. There are always going to be missed photo ops - if I am set for macro with my A640 and I am in need of a wide angle shot - by the time I set my exposure, aperture, strobe power etc. to what I want, I will most likely have missed the shot anyway...

z...

i am looking in a 10-12 mpixels range reflex camera with ikelite housing
that goes with it and i was wondering wich ones have the best caracteristics
for underwater photography , my first choice would be the Nikon D40x but
i would like to have some recommandation from you guys

thanks ...

i suggest testing an actual housed dslr whatever the brand and model. they're pretty much the same. ease of operation of the housed camera underwater should be your consideration. all things equal with housing controls i'd suggest a canon 350D or 400D, from nikon start from d80 going up. best bet. i use a d80 but am not inclined to bring it underwater. :wink:

btw, i'm using a canon A95 + 10 bard arms + Inon D2000 strobe + Inon 165AD Cluse Up lens.

Mod Post

I have split this thread into a DLSR vs. PnS debate, and the original question. Please folks let's keep things on topic. The Op asked a question, the thread was hijacked, and that continued after Alcina asked everyone to return to the original Topic.

I'm still working on the other thread. I will post it back here shortly.

Please stay on Topic.
Thanks!

Mod Post

The OP also asked about the D40.

I think the main issue with it is the lack of a 60mm macro. There are longer AFS macros available, but they are pricey. While you may not want to shoot macro, the 60mm remains a very popular G.P. lens for most photographers. I'm not sure why Nikon hasn't revved this lens to AFS, or Sigma or a third-party filled the void.

But at other focal ranges there are good options, W/A, Zoom, even the Sigma 17-70 now comes in an HSM version.

The camera is decent, smaller and lighter. But the issue comes down to that you are going to spend about the same housing it as a med-level camera like the D80, which has more to offer, and uses the complete line of Nikon mount lenses.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom