Recommendations for CAD diving in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Squirt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello all

Making my first trip to US soil...want to try some diving in Monterey. I've read a lot your previous posts but have some special considerations I'd appreciate your suggestions on:

Firstly, I am a serious CAD. Was diving last week in the Gulf of Oman and was freezing my butt off in 22C/ 66F waters! Dry suits are out as neither my buddy nor I are certified for this. So we'd have to rent wetsuits...

Secondly, have only dived in temperate waters - ie 25C and above (apart from Oman which was the coldest I've ever been). I have my own BCD, reg, fins and mask, but not sure about hefting all that stuff over to the the States. I've heard that in US most divers have all their own equipment including tanks and weight belts - is it possible to rent all the gear from the LDS?

Finally, what are the conditions going to be like mid-September? My buddy and I are both really interested in marine life - we don't get disappointed by average viz, but we would like to see some stuff! So where's the best place to go?

Thanks for any comments

Squirt

Firstly, I am a serious CAD. Was diving last week in the Gulf of Oman and was freezing my butt off in 22C/ 66F waters! Dry suits are out as neither my buddy nor I are certified for this. So we'd have to rent wetsuits...

Personally i dive a drysuit at monterey.A lot of divers use a 7mm one piece with a 5mm jacket over the top of that depending on your comfort zone in cold water.I used to wear a .5mm skin plus a scubapro 7mm s-tek wetsuit with a 5mm hooded jacket and stayed comfy despite feeling like the michelin man.As far as im concerned a drysuit rules at monterey.

Secondly, have only dived in temperate waters - ie 25C and above (apart from Oman which was the coldest I've ever been). I have my own BCD, reg, fins and mask, but not sure about hefting all that stuff over to the the States. I've heard that in US most divers have all their own equipment including tanks and weight belts - is it possible to rent all the gear from the LDS?

There are several dive shops in monterey and rent everything you need.If iwas you i would calll in advance way ahead of time to try to reserve your gear as it gets really busy with divers on the weekends. http://www.aquariusdivers.com/ http://www.bambooreef.com/ http://www.mantaraydive.com/

Finally, what are the conditions going to be like mid-September? My buddy and I are both really interested in marine life - we don't get disappointed by average viz, but we would like to see some stuff! So where's the best place to go?

Expect the water temps to be around 55-58 deg on the surface.Seems like visibility in monterey changes from one minute to the next.I would say average of 15ft.Some places may 5ft and others upto around 30ft or more depending on conditions.Checkout the mantaray website as the have a vis chart for all the different locations.

As far as beach diving lovers point is a great place to go along with breakwater for a good intro dive.IF you have really good beach diving skills you may want to look into monestary.If you have never done beach dives stay away from monestary.It has an extremely challenging surf entry and exit that can change from smooth to extremely rough in a short time.

I would highly recommend you get hooked up on some boat dives as they are by far the most fun and less tiring.Dont get me wrong beach diving is great too but gets awfully tiring after 2 or 3 of them.

Back
Top Bottom