recommendations/ideas on compressors for commercial operation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have had this a few weeks ago with my bauer mv 7.5 ind
third stage ( piston)was blown out:(

I know my Bauer 8.4 cfm Mariner could only cover about half that many divers. A boat I frequented years ago used to feed only 8 divers and had the same machine. I'm on my 7th problem free year with mine, but only light to average hours.

The only guy I know running that many is Capt Rick Pitts. He had a Mako, now advertises an 18 cfm machine, on his 100' boat. www.ultimategetaway.net

Capt Bob DeMauro has a 60' boat that takes 11 divers max. Can't remember the compressors, (2). www.spearfishingcharters.com

Most boats fill direct to the dive tanks. Cascade banks typically won't help out much on boats. Banks are heavy, space consumptive, expensive and delicate aboard small to medium vessels. But the real problem, unlike in dive shops, is that there is typically not enough down time to keep the pressure up. You only get a fraction of what you pump back from a bank.

Both the above LOs have membrane EAN systems now.

I hope your compressor will be below decks!

Chad

ScubaKris:
Having trouble with one of my small compressors. Does anyone know inor between which stage to start looking for a problem when the compressor will only put 400 - 500 psi?

Depends on what compressor you have and if you have changed your oil recently. If you have been running natural oil for a while and have changed to synthetic recently, I would guess that it is crap in the valves. Synthetic oil acts as a cleaner to loosen carbon deposits left behind by the natural oil. The first place to look is the final stage. If those are clean and operating properly, then go back a stage and check those and so on. Worst case scenario is all valves are fine and the piston rings are shot. That means a full overhaul.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom