Question Recurring feeling of overexertion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What depth ranges are the incidents occurring? On top of over-exertion and breathing incorrectly, gas density might also be playing a role. At 100ft your ability to ventilate is about cut in half, so you are not eliminating nearly as much CO2 as you would on the surface. We need to be extra careful about exertion when deep.
Anywhere between 80-120'. Adding the air density factor to the equation definitely makes everything add up to why I was experiencing what I was.

Reactions: OTF
Anywhere between 80-120'. Adding the air density factor to the equation definitely makes everything add up to why I was experiencing what I was.

Yeah, gas density is definitely a big factor then. CO2 is also highly narcotic (20x that of nitrogen), so on top of hypercapnia you are also probably very narced, adding to your feelings of unease and increasing stress and anxiety. Not a good combo.

Yup, you learned the lesson about trying to save air.

People who do little more than float around like a piece of plankton for the entire dive often have little concept of how strenuous certain activities can be.

Yup, you learned the lesson about trying to save air.

People who do little more than float around like a piece of plankton for the entire dive often have little concept of how strenuous certain activities can be.
Yep, that's why I won't ever dive with those who insist to swim fast everywhere for the entire dive.

Spearfisherman don't generally swim hard the whole dive, but they can have bursts of activity that are hard to predict or avoid.

The other bit of advice I can throw out is.. try a pair of reasonably stiff freedive fins for spearfishing on scuba. That may make a noticeable improvement in performance and they are very commonly used by serious spearfisherman.

Spearfisherman don't generally swim hard the whole dive, but they can have bursts of activity that are hard to predict or avoid.

The other bit of advice I can throw out is.. try a pair of reasonably stiff freedive fins for spearfishing on scuba. That may make a noticeable improvement in performance and they are very commonly used by serious spearfisherman.

I get a lower sac if I use my freediving fins as well as having more power on tap for when I need it. They're not the best for precision work though

Back
Top Bottom