red dots in image

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sroot17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can anyone tell me why I have these red dots in some of my images?

Looks like back scatter from suspended particles in the water.

Can't see your picture unless you host it on a website. That appears to be a file from your computer. Photobucket works well and is free. Otherwise, if you shrink the image small enough, you can post it here on a thumbnail, as a JPEG or BMP by attaching it to your post. Not being able to see your picture, I can conjecture that red dots are often caused by backscatter-reflections of particles and bubbles in the water bouncing back at your lens from the cameras flash.

It is backscatter. Strobe positioning is the only cure.

I see that you fixed the post. They are backscatter. If you're using the built in flash, you'll often get that on any shot with large areas of open water in the background. The solution is to shoot close to the subject and close to the background. It minimizes the amount of water in your picture. For reef shots, turn off the flash if you can and adjust your white balance manually to get the correct colors at depth.

Thanks for the help everyone! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem with my equipment!

sroot17:
Thanks for the help everyone! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem with my equipment!

It sort of is.......depending on what sort of equipment you're using. If you've got a separate strobe (not built-in), face it straight ahead or a little to the outside of your subject. That will take out most or all of the backscatter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom