Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Hunter

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

This summer myself a friend and my dad are thinking of a trip to the Red Sea. It seems ideal as it is relatively close and is said to have some of the best diving in the world. However, all is not so simple, on further investigation I discovered that there are three parts to the Red Sea. I was wondering if anyone could help advise which is best, North, South of Deep South.

Thank you,
David

Good luck to you with your Red Sea trip. It really is wonderfull. I've been there twice - both times in Hurgada which is in the middle.

1. The further you go south the more unspoiled scenary you'll get. But going to Sudan waters almost demands a live-a-board trip.

2. Summer is a VERY hot period to be in the Red Sea area! So If you can manage, go at the end of October or May. Check travel/touist sites for temp.& info. :cool:

3. Enjoy your dives! Try to get a few deep ones in.

4. It is rather salty and you'll need a lot of weight.

Where do you normally dive? Where are you coming from?

DSAO

I have also dived from Hurghada and havent had experience of the deep south.

Some of my friends have tho - on live-a-boards, and it is reccommended!

You get to see a lot more - including hammerheads etc.
Hence the reason next august i am planning to try a deep south live-a-board (hope my seasickness copes!0

Diving in Hurghada - like DameDykker said - the middle, is good for certifying as you get urgs and stuff and then space on the bottom to do navigation and such!

If all depends on what kind of diving u want to do.

We're scheduled at the end of March to do the liveaboard Royal Emperor out of Hurgurda, so this info is great.

Anyone been on this boat? We were initially interested in diving from the Red Sea Agressor, but reports from people on various boards indicated that this Agressor boat was in very poor condition, so we looked elsewhere.

~SubMariner~

Is the Royal Emperor run by Emperor divers???
If so, I know that it will be a good boat as thats who my b-friend use to work for and have been on some of there day-boats when i was there!

The Mahy (also Emperor Divers) is fantastic, and we've been on it the past 2 years - http://www.aegis-ceramics.co.uk/kswsac

If you do go there and see an Ian Kingsley, tell him KSW says hi... :wink:

Hi David,

The next (Feb 2001) issue of "Undercurrent" (http://www.undercurrent.org/) will contain recent companion trips reports on the Red Sea, one on the northern itinerary & another on a south/deep south agenda.

One is mine & the other I've reviewed. I suggest you read them when they appear next month.

You should have a splendid time either direction.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

After years of diving in Egypt, Sharm is much safer choice for someone who will be travelling from overseas because:
1-the weather is very stable almost 360 days a year.
2- Water temp. is warmer than Hurgadah.
3- Marine life is more than Hurgadah.
4- The weather does not dictate where u dive, rather u, the diver and the crew decides.
5- More coral life in Sharm.
6- On a livaboard, u don't have to travel long distances to dive site, so less time to travel, more time to dive including night dives in or around Sharm.
7- You find more Italians diving at Sharm which is nice, since these guys, and gals, do not take diving as if it was a duty,rather a vacation.
If anybody needs any more info. please ask
Fazlo

Hey, that's my decision made for me! Sharm it is when I go to the Red Sea.

psst - don't tell my hubby!!

Originally posted by DocVikingo
Hi David,

The next (Feb 2001) issue of "Undercurrent" (http://www.undercurrent.org/) will contain recent companion trips reports on the Red Sea, one on the northern itinerary & another on a south/deep south agenda.

DocVikingo

Undercurrent also reviewed a deep south trip on the "Sea Surveyor" several years ago. (I'm too lazy to search for the specific issue.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom