Red tide or Karenia brevis. (formerly known as Gymnodinium breve)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIOceanographer:
After going through the peer review process, it can feel like other scientists might even try to refute the finding of my keys in the morning.....

A good laugh from that one. We scientists all know how that feels! The first time I had a peer review (I directly requested it of him) one of my papers I was devastated, but it actually helped me write a much better paper. In my experience, reviewers often have personal agendas that enter into their review often in strange ways.

The first paper I was asked to review, I gave a scathing indictment of. It was written by two friends, but it discussed a future project rather than research actually underway or completed. The intent of the symposium it was presented in was to summarize research conducted since the last symposium, not intended research for the future. In short, it was just fluff to get a publication.

My early research papers were reviewed by two of the giants in my field (giant kelp and kelp forest ecology), Drs. Mike Neushul of UCSB and Wheeler North of CalTech. Both found the research to be ground breaking, yet they differed on which research deserved that label! One thought my use of remote sensing and GIS to study kelp persistence was a great contribution, the other felt my study of drift kelp as a dispersal vector for invertebrates lacking dispersal forms (pelagic larvae, etc.) was. And each thought the other study was a bit more pedestrian. Funny.

As for name changes, it happens in other areas than plankton of course. I've seen so many name changes in some species that I've resorted to using their common names most of the time (those haven't changed!), although not in scientific circles. When you first learn the scientific names 35-40 years ago, you don't necessarily keep current on each taxon if they are not central to your work. I simply can't keep track of the 1,000+ species I've encountered over the years.

One of the reasons my later research hasn't been negatively reviewed (just the writing itself) is that some scientists don't seem to understand it. At times I think I've had better luck explaining it to young elementary school students than to scientists. Their minds are more open to viewing new things. And I've used pretty much the same visuals with both audiences (except I skip the graphs).

drbill:
A
One thought my use of remote sensing and GIS to study kelp persistence was a great contribution, the other felt my study of drift kelp as a dispersal vector for invertebrates lacking dispersal forms (pelagic larvae, etc.) was.
It's so obvious Bill... the invertebrate dispersal vector is WAY more important. Whatever was your pro-GIS reviewer thinking? Geez.

As for name changes, it happens in other areas than plankton of course. I've seen so many name changes in some species that I've resorted to using their common names most of the time (those haven't changed!), although not in scientific circles.
With me, common names are a royal pain in the butt. It might be easier in California, but in the Gulf of Mexico we transition between east coast and Caribbean biota. Not only are the common names for the same species different between both provinces, but Texans have their own bloody common names for half the stuff. So do the mexicans. I'm looking at a morning glory right now with four common names, three of which are used in-state. Two of them are synonymous with two other species, bleah.

Thank god that birds all have unique common names.

You're right, Archman.. I've noticed that common names in the Caribbean/Gulf/Keys do differ depending on where you are.

I often am surrounded by birders while working on the Lindblad cruise ships, and I was sure I heard more than one common name for the same fine feathered friend (at least in central America) on occasion.

What gets me is when two completely different critters get the same common name!

For example in New England:
Blackfish= Tautoga onitis (aka Tautog) or Centropristis striata (aka Black Sea Bass)

Kim:
Well I suppose it can't be scientifically proven that if you hit a tree head on at 50mph you will definitely die - luckily there is also such a thing as common sense though.
It's a pity that politicians don't seem to have much of that very often. Vested interests can make very bad decisions.....where's people power when you need it!

Important to note...it's not just a technicality. As an example, a few years ago, I did take a head-on ride at about 60mph into a limestone wall, after a drunk driver hit my brother-in-law's car. Broke my arm pretty good, and had a few other minor injuries, but neither of us apparently had a 100% chance of getting killed, because we both walked away from it.

The reason the scientific method only rules possibilities out, rather than conclusive proving facts, is because an event can always come along that disproves what science has to that point established.

That said, I agree that politicians and lawyers are ridiculous in how they use this to bend the story to suit whatever needs they have.

archman:
Thank god that birds all have unique common names.

I know you must already know this one, you just didn't think of it at the moment.... and I suppose it is cruel of me to shatter your sense of comfort by pointing it out, but...... if I saw a "Seagull" what bird do I mean? :devil_2:

Was I referring to an American Herring Gull? Great Black Backed Gull? Lesser Black Backed Gull? Ring Billed Gull? California Gull? European Herring Gull? Yellow Legged Gull? Kelp Gull? Baltic Gull? etc.....

And more importantly, could a Seagull carry a coconut? :D

RIOceanographer:
I know you must already know this one, you just didn't think of it at the moment.... and I suppose it is cruel of me to shatter your sense of comfort by pointing it out, but...... if I saw a "seagull" what bird do I mean? :devil_2:
Last I heard, the only true "Sea Gull" is Larus marinus, and that's just because it translates that way. It's official common name is "Greater Black-Backed Gull".

Mean-spirited birders and ornithologists love correcting people who call various gull species, "seagulls". It's the most common technical correction I see used in the field. I think they're just being anal... I don't correct people that use the term "jellyfish", even though I could. I actually like using colloquial names. "Hydroblab" and "Animaliculae" are particular favorites.

All the bird names are currently undergoing massive revisions. Our own local professor refuses to even teach any of the new system. I don't blame him, it's a big mess. The same thing is happening with the gastropods. I teach the classical system. Most of this upstart genetic junk ends up being wrong anyway.

CBulla:
Also, something to note... in the last 5 years or so of persistant red tide, FL has had its LARGEST and most consistant building population booms ever. 26000 people a day moving to the state. The county I live in has gone from roughly 150k people to 550k in that time. Hmm.. I don't need to be a scientist to know what the largest contributing factor is!

I lived the first six months of this year in St Pete, and I can testify about the population boom. I worked with some people that were buying home lots and selling them before the units were completed at a good profit.

I got to snorkel with the manatees in Crystal river, dive with the Goliath Grouper in the Keys and watch pods of dolphins feeding along the beaches of St Petersburg. It's really sad to see so many of them dying :sad:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom