Redneck in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day Five - December 26, 2007

We started out the day with another wonderful breakfast and a dive to Connie's Dream. Saw a few more fish and the big find was a large drum fish. I have tons of pictures but can't figure out how to post them. I'll email them to somebody if they will post them for me. The second dive was a drop off on Newman's Wall. Again the two walls out in the front yard are the best dive spots and you can swim to them or back from them quickly. I'm sitting in the bar right now drinking a local rum drink with the sun setting orange and yellow. We could only dive the morning today because we fly to Belize tomorrow and then home (maybe)

Day Six

Sorry didn't finish Day Five because I got involved with the Rum drinks and the BBQ ribs on the point. We couldn't dive so we went for a bike ride around the island and then for a boat ride around Fantasy Island which is the next island over.

Up this morning at the crack of dawn and off to the Roatan airport which is where I sit right now. Observations about Roatan. We went by boat to the French Harbor, it is the main town on Christmas Day. We had wrapped candy in bags for the local children and threw it like Mardi Gras as they ran to the shore. The city is very poor but the children were excited about the candy. So buy the calendar that supports the Children's fund here. It's only $25 and that amount of money goes far down here.

Coco View - It is set up for divers. The dive staff and boat staff are excellent. The food is good and property is beautiful. However, the diving is marginal, the marine life is minimal - my opinion is the fish off Pensacola, Florida/Orange Beach, Alabama are better. The no-see-ums (biting flies) are terrible. Coco View is an "all inclusive" that doesn't include a lot. Nitrox is extra, booze is extra, day trips to hopefully better reefs are extra, beach towels are extra, cokes are extra, most juices are extra. So not really an all inclusive like I've had before.

So in summary, I had a great trip to Coco View in Roatan Honduras and did lots of warm water diving for Christmas but I won't be back - too many other places where the diving is better.

Just one Rednecks opinion!

By the way - when I say better diving, I'm talking Turks and Caicos or Belize. I've been to both and both were better diving.

Be safe coming back to town. You'll have to give me some more details when you get back. :D

Surely not! I think we just see you as the leader of the Angels :wink:
Btw, if any of you Angels aren't afraid of freezing your tails off, they're having a quarry dive at Pelham on Feb 2nd. I think I'm going to do that one....depends on if I survive Gary's class next month :)

Gary's policy is that all divers survive his classes. It is very difficult for him to stay in business if he kills us off! Plus we are Gary's only three Angels and he loves us too!

Okay. Finally I figured out the photogallery thing. So if you want to see pictures from Roatan or Belize or the Oriskany, mine are there in my gallery seadoggirl. Go look!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom