Redundancy Required for Decompression Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Training is training.

Whether financially compensated or not, whether run to an agency syllabus or not. Training is training.

Training involves instruction in proper techniques, procedures, equipment selection and usage, assessment and feedback on performance.

The ability to instruct a given activity is not determined by a plastic instructor card... but rather by true expertise in that activity, coupled with prudent risk management and an inherent ability to teach

An instructor qualification should illustrate such competency and expertise... but as most of us know, that's increasingly not true.

I have every respect for those who can indeed Instruct well. I don't just mean their experience and knowledge, but their ability to deliver the information in a meaningful and productive way. It is a skill, yes it can be learnt but it comes easier to some more than others.

In a "previous life" I was involved with Non - destructive testing. I had to re cert every 3 years in each of my disciplines (8) because i used to be certified under the CAA and FAA that meant 16 re certs

I was involved in what could best be described in R&D - the procedures and processes we developed would become mainstream in 2 - 5 years. For 2 of the disciplines I wrote the courses and indeed the exam questions (I still had to sit the exams)

I had to instruct courses, my technical knowledge was way above what was needed for the courses and during my instructor training I pretty much received the same feedback was that was I used to over complicate the information - or give too much information for my course delivery.

It took a lot of concentration and effort in my part to be able to communicate the courses effectively.

By following a syllabus you are certain that you have covered all the points - something not guaranteed if you are mentoring on an ad hock basis and certainly not by self learning

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom