Reefcheck Class Report - 12-13 May 07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get us the free stuff or don't come back!

RoyN

After a weekend of classroom work in Monterey, I'm excited about the dives this weekend.

Doing all the things that Claudette lists is a serious cause of concern. Especially since I am far from confident on my ID skills. The end of day ID test was ok, but that's cause I'm a good test taker. If I couldn't rethink my answers, I would have faired much worse.

Even if I never get to the level of my data being useful, the class itself was highly educational. Before class, my ability to identify things in the water was similar/or worse to limeyx. After the weekend, I could distinguish a blue rockfish from a black rockfish.

Reef Check is an exciting program, and I hope that we get more divers to join.

very nice report ben. I just wish I had the time to make the classes. my strong suit would have been fish id. being an avid fisherman. and my studies in aquaculture would have helped me in this area as well. Ericson is trying to put together a fish count seminar for us here up north. you have inspired me with your report. thank you.

gonphishing:
very nice report ben. I just wish I had the time to make the classes. my strong suit would have been fish id. being an avid fisherman. and my studies in aquaculture would have helped me in this area as well. Ericson is trying to put together a fish count seminar for us here up north. you have inspired me with your report. thank you.

Thanks Brian,
One thing about Reef Check is that it is neutral on the issue of fishing... it is for gathering data so that all may benefit from the resources of the oceans... I get frustrated that a lot of spearo's and other fishermen all think that DF&G and the MLPA is out to get them. If we don't do anything today there won't be a tomorrow for our kids to enjoy....

Ben

Ben_ca:
If we don't do anything today there won't be a tomorrow for our kids to enjoy....

Kids? What kids? :rofl3:

Anyways, gonna go now. :eyebrow:

Adding pool session pictures from nilsdiver's gallery.

ben_ca sizes up the black perch -
rc_P5120081.JPG

nilsdiver approaches quietly through the water column for an ID -
rc_P5120087.JPG

Must count all fish -
rc_P5120088.JPG

Back
Top Bottom