Reels and Spools - Which ones and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
What Reels and Spools do you have and what do you use them for and why?

I use a Manta Mini to launch DSMB's from depth. The Mantas won't freespool.

Currently I have the following from Dive Rite - Sidewinder Primary (400ft #24?), standard safety reel about 125 on it, sidewinder jump gap reel I think 75 ft on it. Primary is for OW Nav, S&R, and Wreck pentration. Safety reel for smaller nav runs when I don;t want to take the big one. Gap reel for SMB use. I'm replacing two of them with Manta's. The Big reel is being replaced by the Manta CR1. Gap reel by the Nano. I also have a Nano + that may agument the safety reel and for student use. The gap reel is getting replaced cause I'm tired of gluing the damn spool back together. I think I got it this time with glue and soldering iron. The big reel simply because I got great deal on the CR1 and it's loaded with #36 line that is a bit heavier and better IMO for wrecks. I'm also considering carrying them in my web store. The Dive Rites will be going up for sale after the first of the year.

I also have around 5 finger spools with anywhere from 50 to 150 feet of line on them for when I just don't need to take a reel. I always have a line of some type though. Makes it possible to salvage a dive even in zero vis.

I allways carry a basic 30m. spool with S.S. double-ender and Mares 6ft. SMB attached, for drift diving and safety.

Larry Green safety reels. x2 . . . learning wreck / cave

150' finger spools, x 3 SMB launch, wreck/cave

~50' fingers pools Gap jumping, some day,

I always carry a stainless 100' finger spool with about 75' of #24 line on it in my pocket, rigged to a DSMB. Other than the Halcyon it is one of the few that thick gloves fit into the middle of. Plus it has a smaller foot print to fit in a tight pocket than the other delrin spool I have. Most every ocean diver should carry an SMB, and if diving around boat traffic should know how to launch from depth. Even more so if there could be current carrying you away from a boat as you make your safety/deco stop. That way the boat can track you.

For getting back to the anchor I have a Halcyon 400' reel, and I bought #36 line to replace the #24 line with. Not sure how much line it currently has on it. The reel is used so we can always get back to the anchor when conditions/vis are not optimal.

Has anyone tried out the Hi-Viz Dacron Line sold by Dive gear express?

Has anyone tried out the Hi-Viz Dacron Line sold by Dive gear express?
I have it on one of my DR 150' reels that I let students use for training.

Spools for safety, they don't fall apart or jam. The last thing you need in an emergency is a jammed reel or a reel that falls apart.

Halcyon makes a nice coldwater spool for use with dry gloves. Attach a snap to the central flange and you've got yourself a handle. Makes it a lot easier to grip with dry gloves.

Spools are also much more convenient than reels for short gaps and jumps (< 100 feet).

I also have a spool attached to my SMB. You don't want a reel for shooting an SMB. If the reel jams during deployment...

I don't see the need for steel spools, Delrin works just fine.

I really like the old Salvo reels. They are smooth and have a quality feel to them. Halcyon makes reels that are almost identical.

I'll be nice and not mention which reels that I dislike. You can send me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom