Reels and Spools - Which ones and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have a Halcyon 400 ft reel and a Salvo 800 foot reel. They are basically only used for cave diving, or for setting up courses for students (very, very rarely for executing a search off a shot line when the wreck isn't visible at the bottom).

We have a whole collection of spools of various brands and sizes. I carry a 100 foot spool and SMB, pre-rigged, on all boat dives and many shore dives. The rest are mostly used for cave diving.

I have a Dive-Rite mini-reel which I find amusing and delightful. Despite having been warned that it will jam or break, it hasn't yet. I like being able to use the reeling up function when I've run long jumps. It makes things much faster, and the line doesn't end up all twisted on the spool.

I've have one 1200' and one 400' Halcyon reel, both for cave diving, a 150' safety spool that will occasionally double for shooting an SMB, and an assortment of 75' jump spools. I had a 100' spool, but a cave ate it years ago, never to be seen again :(

I own a Dive Rite safety reel with 130' high viz orange line, I find it very useful in bad viz situations. I use it for shooting a SMB or for limited wreck penetrations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom