Reels, Types, Uses, storsge, and sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver- I just registered a few months ago. I have read some threads from Texas Swamp but haven't had the chance to meet anyone yet. Would like to at some point. There are more TX divers than I would have thought! :)

Can someone provide a good recommendation for reel and lift bag configuration for use as an ascent line? I really have no experience with either, but it seems to make a lot of sense to carry one for shore dives when current is possible.

Thanks, Bill

Norda once bubbled...
Can someone provide a good recommendation for reel and lift bag configuration for use as an ascent line? I really have no experience with either, but it seems to make a lot of sense to carry one for shore dives when current is possible.

Thanks, Bill

A spool works much better than a reel. It is jam proof. All you have to do is attach it to the bag, add a few burst of air to the bag to get it started on its way to the surface and just let the spool dangle in front of you as the line unwinds.

Once the bag hits the surface, it will take a second or so before the spool starts to sink. Clip the line off and your all set. A closed circuit bag, or one with a valve to keep air from spilling is easier to use than an open bag.

sexysadie once bubbled...
Cave Diver- I just registered a few months ago. I have read some threads from Texas Swamp but haven't had the chance to meet anyone yet. Would like to at some point. There are more TX divers than I would have thought! :)

Well at least stop by our little forum and introduce yourself. Great bunch of divers, I havent met them all in person myself yet either. I'm getting ready to do some additional training, and need to sharpen up a few skills and do some equipment checks. Hopefully I will be getting to Houston sometime in the near future to get a few more dives in at Twin Lakes and meet a few more of the folks.

Maybe I'll see you there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom