refinishing tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As has been said, dont powder coat, rhino line, or cover your tank with crap that will make for a bad visual inspection. Letting your inspector see as much as possible is the best, I know we all want a pretty tank but when one of those babys explodes... I forget the exact figure but they realease aprx. 1.2 millon pounds of energy. Strip the paind off and call it good.

Also have heard mention of shot blasting, it is a no no to remove any metal from the surface of a tank, and I belive shot blasting would have to be a fail if I was to inspect the tank.

Blasting a tanks with any media (shot, bead, or whatever) doesnt "remove" material from the tank. Any AL it took off with the old paint would be measured in microns of thickness. This isnt going to do anything to affect the safety of a tank. look at the hydo date stamps. If those arent hurting a tank, blasting wont either.

The reason hydro stamps don't affect the strength of the tank is because the tank is very thick at the top. You will notice stamping is only allowed on the top.

Back
Top Bottom