Refractive Lens Exchange or LASIK vision correction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To lindenbruce.....yep, same thing. Thanks. Been waiting for a totally accommodating lens and some courage to get it done.

Yep, I am looking at the accomodating lens if I go the RLE way. Looks like we are having the same thoughts. You guys done ice fishing yet? B

As long as glasses or contacts can correct my vision with essentially zero risk, I'll be staying away from any type of eye surgery.

In fact, glasses have protected my eyes from flying debris more than once. Also, I'd need to wear them for computer work anyway, which means that the only time I wouldn't need glasses would be outdoors, when I would need sunglasses anyway. It seems like a lot of risk for not a lot of benefit.

flots.

A friend of mine who retired from opthalmology is near-sighted and still wears glasses. He is among the minority of doctors who believe it's not worth the risk. He's mentioned there is especially a dearth of data on what happens when people who have had these procedures become elderly, since it has "only" been in the last 20 or so years that these procedures have become commonplace.

I wear soft (hydrophilic) disposables for diving. I keep a spare with me on the boat, but I've never had one fall out yet.

I wear soft (hydrophilic) disposables for diving. I keep a spare with me on the boat, but I've never had one fall out yet.

One of my friends is an ophthalmic surgeon and he still wears glasses.

I'll get my eyes lasered right after he gets his done.

flots.

I am nearsighted too. I wear glasses, and dive with contacts.

...//... soft, one-day disposables. ...//...

Disposable contacts are a great option. Yes, keep a few spares in your gear box. If you lose one on a dive, no big deal, go get another. I can't remember if I ever lost one on a dive either, but it doesn't usually happen.

Also looked into LASIK as my eye doc tends to push it. I have extremely sharp uncorrected (close focus) vision and asked for a guarantee that the procedure would not compromise this. -The answer I got was unacceptable to me.

Last time I asked about LASIK my doc dialed in the phoropter to what my near vision would be. While it is marginal even with my contacts (I can get by without readers at times) that view through the phoropter would have had me in readers all....the.....time. Had tried monovision contact correction years ago but it didn't feel right, maybe I'll have to try that again.

Only have 200 dives, but never have lost a contact either.

That's okay. My brother-in-law is from Wisconsin as well and we share the same first name too. Kinda weird actually as we look enough alike to have pulled one over on more than one waitress in a bar too.

I can't get in to see my RGP contact doc for two weeks. I'm going to grill him about my options.

Flots Am, it funny you say that. Because the first doc I went to go see was also wearing glasses, but for close-up only. He did have LASIK done years ago though so he wasn't being a hypocrite. It's interesting that some are wearing contacts while diving with no issues, but the gist I get is you are not supposed to be wearing them during diving because of the gas exchange process during ascents. Or maybe it's because if you slip a lens during diving you can't do anything about it?
Hum..... B

. . .
It's interesting that some are wearing contacts while diving with no issues, but the gist I get is you are not supposed to be wearing them during diving because of the gas exchange process during ascents. Or maybe it's because if you slip a lens during diving you can't do anything about it?
Hum..... B

I think it's the latter. Gas-permeable lenses might have some gas exchange issue--I'm not familiar with them, but it sounds plausible. Hydrophilic ("soft"/"hydrogel") lenses, on the other hand, are saturated with liquid, so I would think there should be no problem. At least I've never heard of anyone having a problem.

Okay, finally got to see my Rigid Gas Permeable doctor yesterday. We talked about LASIK and Refractive Lens Exchange. Come to find out he had RLE a few years ago and loved it. He no longer wears contacts or glasses for his vision at distance and close up. My Doc went with the accommodating clear HD lens and said it has been great. We also talked about cataracts. He said there is a very good chance I will have cataracts as I get older, but genetics does weigh in on this to a certain extent. My Doc said that 70% of 70 year-olds have cataracts. I have done some web based research and the incidence of cataracts in older age groups is quite high really. So I don't think his estimate is that far off. So, I will be making an appointment with my eye Doc's Doc (funny huh) in the next few weeks to get going in the direction for RLE. B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom