reg/octo carry on ??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smokey braden

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i have recently read on this board that divers have been required to place their reg/octo in their checked luggage.
i have always taken mine in my carry on.
i'm taking my family to aruba for a week saturday. we will be on us air. my wife is allowing me to blow 2 am tanks. hopefully someone here can give me good advice on the accepted way i can travel with my gear. thank you in advance.

I have always carried regs and dive computers on-board and have never had any problem on any airline. The people operating the baggage scanner seem to know exactly what it is and never even ask you to open the bag. Don't pack your dive knife in your carry-on, however, unless you wish to attract a lot of attention.

Hi

Just got back from Aruba three days ago on US airways and carried my regulator and prescription masks on with out any problems.

I haven't had any problems on recent trips.

On a trip to Israel last year, every X-Ray screener (Atlanta, Newark, Tel-Aviv (twice) was confused by the Reg and had me take it out of the bag. Finally in Newark on the return flight, one screener knew exactly what it was. The other screener wanted to take it out of the bag anyway to see what it looked like, but the informed screener told him (in a great smart-ass tone) that it looks exactly like it does on the X-Ray picture. Made my trip.

In many years of dive travel, and I mean a lot... I have never done anything but check my regs and bc through. Never carried it on- couldn't figure out why. It's not delicate, nor is it likely to be an object to be stolen. Theft on airlines is quite minimal- and what's the value of used dive gear? Zip.

I carry my computer and dive watch. Their delicate and most $400 dive watches you could fence for $30. So that's a carry on.

I also watch people carry on their cameras in a heavy, gorilla proof Pelican box. Where's the logic?

Carry on perscription items, including extra glasses and mask, changes of clothing, bathing suit, t-shirts.

Ouch, my poor aching back. The only thing we carry on is a laptop, D100 and lenses, film (some people still use that stuff) and my Ipod. I have forgotten and packed my mosquito in checked luggage a few times with no problems. My husbands cobra stays with his reg and gets checked. All my Nikonos gear and my husbands housing (including ports) gets checked in a hard sided samsonite suitcase. I'm not keen on how Peli's call attention to the fact that they are carrying expensive gear.
Eventually there accumulates so much delicate gear that only so much can be carried on. Insure it all, send it through, and enjoy your in-flight entertainment.

I agree with Herman. I print the page from TSA and place it in my reg bag so if they do open it there it is. I have had two friends lose regs this year alone. They were coming back from Bonaire and Miami airport/ baggage area bit them in the butt. The airline stated it wasn't thier fault and after the claim was filed with TSA they stated "When they get to opening the file it will be considered." this was in the first week of Jan.

chuckrt

hey guys!!!
thanks so much for y'alls advice.
this is our first trip to aruba and are looking forward to having lots of fun.
i have made arrangements to dive with clive based on info from this board.
i will post a trip report upon my return.
thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom