Regulator Recommendation ? (Zeagle, Atomic,...?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robzr

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a new diver (< 20 dives), I'm in the process of purchasing equipment so I no longer have to rent when I travel (tropical) or dive locally (Chicago / Lake Michigan). So far I purchased a Stiletto w/ Atomic SS1, Oceanic Atom 1, mask, fins, snorkel. I'd like to purchase a first & second stage which I can be happy to keep for a long time, and can suit me for cold Lake Michigan diving, wreck and possibly cave diving, nitrox/air, and anything else I may decide to try out. Based on this, my minimum standards are:

- Heat Exchanger
- Environmentally sealed first stage (sounds like it's not necessary but a good idea)
- High quality, proven design which would be suitable to using for cave diving
- DIN w/ Yoke adapter, or Yoke + DIN conversion kit
- solid performer in the $250-450 range that I won't regret buying

The two regulators I've been eyeballing are a new Zeagle ZX-DSV and and used Atomic M1. I will probably purchase via Scubatoys, as I haven't found any Chicago dive area shops I feel any loyalty to. Here's my thoughts:

Zeagle ZX-DSV $280 ish via Leisurepro price match
- Comes with Yoke adapter, so no hidden costs
- Free parts for life w/ warranty, and I can send in the SS1 to Scubatoys every other time I send in the Zeagle
- Appears to have a solid reputation on scubaboard for performance & reliability
- I called Zeagle w/ a question about DIN vs. Yoke, had a highly knowledgable guy (Jim Fox maybe?) take 15-20 minutes of his time to talk to me, being no more than a propective customer. After reading this board, it sounds like this is not unusual, and the service from Zeagle is great.
- If I get into cave diving, I can get a matching second stage/octopus for a reasonble price (nobody cave dives with inflator combo secondaries right?)

Atomic M1 $3-500 via eBay/classifieds incl. DIN/Yoke converter & rebuilt if needed
- 2 year service interval sounds nice, matches the SS1, since parts are free for no-one, not having a warranty doesn't seem to be as much of an issue.
- swivel first stage (is this really a significant benefit?)
- seems to have an excellent reputation for quality & performance

Based on what I'm looking for, can anyone recommend something else? The guy at scubatoys though the Zeagle was a good match, but then he can't sell me an Atomic. Anyone have thoughts on the used Atomic vs. new Zeagle? Anything I'm overlooking?

thanks,

Rob

Let's see...

-You can call Zeagle and actually talk to a highly knowledgeable guy instead of a clueless customer support rep.

-You can post a message to either ScottZeagle or Chad Carney (both Zeagle reps) on ScubaBoard and actually get a suprisingly quick response.

-Zeagle products are highly regarded by actual ScubaBoard members.

Sounds like the Zeagle ZX/DSV is a great choice! Actually, I have the Envoy Deluxe and couldn't be happier with it.

There are probably an equal number of Atomic devotees on the board as well and maybe their customer support is good, however where are their factory reps on ScubaBoard? In my opinion, Zeagle is a true customer oriented business and I'm happy to give them my support.

I just bought a ZX/DS-V from Scubatoys... Sounds like the Atomic M1 is a killer reg, but definately $$$ (maybe twice the ZX/DS-V after a finding one in good shape, getting a rebuild, DIN converter) and not necessary for my level of diving. Cave diving sounds like a trip but thats a ways down the road.

The only thing I'm hoping I don't regret is not going with a swivel first stage...

Rob

Rob,

Our 50D swivel first stage was our most popular model, back when most companies were pitching swivel models. It's still a great regulator, but it costs more to build and has more parts to service. To make the swivel we have to do some pretty exotic plumbing internally, that can impead the regulator slightly, at least a breathing machine can detect it, although most divers can't.

Your DSV is the same regulator with the ports going where they would be aimed with a swivel anyway, and with a much better air flow path.

Thanks for choosing a Zeagle, enjoy your diving and try to stay warm!

Chad

I own 4 zeagles, 2 dive rites and a sherwood. The zeagles are a great product and I doubt you'll go wrong there.

robzr:
I just bought a ZX/DS-V from Scubatoys... Sounds like the Atomic M1 is a killer reg, but definately $$$ (maybe twice the ZX/DS-V after a finding one in good shape, getting a rebuild, DIN converter) and not necessary for my level of diving. Cave diving sounds like a trip but thats a ways down the road.

The only thing I'm hoping I don't regret is not going with a swivel first stage...

Rob

For the record, I use zeagles for cave diving, A flathead 6 and DS4 to be exact. No problems.

In Lake Michigan I use a sealed reg. All the Atomics are piston style with the crysto-lube freeze guard. I think with this and what you've read, the Zeagle is by far the best choice. It'll be my next reg that's for sure.

Great... if it's suitable for cave diving, then I think I'm covered for anything I'll possibly be doing for the forseeable future. I just got a drysuit and I'm taking a class in a couple weeks, so I'll be able to test out that heat exchanger soon :wink: Thanks guys,

Rob

I have a Zeagle, an Atomic, and an Apeks. They are all great regs. I usually use my Apeks in cold water with my drysuit.
I cannot tell the difference in how they breath, and I have never had a problem with any of them.

If I were you, I would get the brand new Zeagle from Scubatoys with full manufacturer's warranty. I have had great experiences with Scubatoys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom