Regulator Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrewmcc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am storing some regulators for a few months before I will use them again. After cleaning, I was going to add a bread tie to hold down the lever as shown to fully take the pressure off the seat. Any reason this is a bad idea?

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpeg
    IMG_0076.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 41
Mine hang in my garage between uses. That ranges from a few days to a couple months. The only thing I do is ensure they've been rinsed while under pressure and then hang to dry. IF I care then I'll take them down after a week of hanging and put in their tote. Nothing extra done to them at all.

I am storing some regulators for a few months before I will use them again. After cleaning, I was going to add a bread tie to hold down the lever as shown to fully take the pressure off the seat. Any reason this is a bad idea?
I do not see an issue.

While it may take pressure off of the seat, it puts increased pressure on the spring. Not necessary and possibly weaken the spring which is not very strong anyway.
I wouldn't do it. But then I've only been servicing for 15 years and taught servicing for 10.
I've also written 7 reg service manuals (including the 1st Deep Six manual).
Rinse them well, allow to air dry, any adjustments knobs turned all the way out to the easiest breathing position and hang in a cool, dry place not exposed to sunlight, moisture, or hydrocarbon fumes.
I'm also ok with allowing them to be LOOSELY coiled in a large tub for a while. I don't care for reg bags for long term storage. Spiders also like those and I have seen nests in second stages.
Braided hoses should not be stored coiled. They tend to take a set.

Good point about the springs being compressed. Easier to get a seat to replace than a spring Thanks!

For storing regulators, the big things I'd do is make sure they're clean, keep them out of any sunlight, away from extreme hot or cold, and very high humidity.

As far as I'm aware, this is not something people do, and I don't really see a benefit. Doesn't this also open the valve? It might potentially allow small insects or dust inside. Though storing it in a plastic bag should take care of that.

If you've gone through this much trouble already, take it a step further by disassembling the inner parts.

and spread the parts around so they can breathe

P1010757.JPG

What's happened Jim

Braided hoses should not be stored coiled. They tend to take a set.

and spread the parts around so they can breathe
Then the cat sleeps on them after tossing them about.

While it may take pressure off of the seat, it puts increased pressure on the spring. Not necessary and possibly weaken the spring which is not very strong anyway.
A properly designed and made spring will not take a set or weaken in any considerable way. It is actual number times they are loaded and unloaded that matters (aka the number of cycles).

Think about spring on a vehicle, they are compressed 24/7.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom