Regulator Swivels, good or bad??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are talking about a component that is prone to failure, not a brand, a color, or a regulator configuration.

Unless there is a valid reason, e.g., medical tooth/jaw condition, there is no need for a swivel. And yes, you're absolutely right, you should dive with people who match your risk profile. Overhead and tech taught me to be very selective.
And doubles/SM are the only form of acceptable air redundancy. Helium is necessary for below 100 and you must stop every 3m during your ascent... other's gear has zero affect on me

I'm thinking about getting a regulator hose swivel, since I bite down hard unknowingly while diving as a way to keep my regulator straight in my mouth. Otherwise, it wants to push its way out. Like picture kind of shows. Anyway the question is I have read places that they have a tendency of failing, causing a free flow. Is this your option?

This was the original post. Some on this thread are attempting to shame those who do not like swivels or elbows. Not sure why they feel compelled to attack so vehemently, but this is Basic Scuba, a Green Zone and you're tactics are welcome in The Pub, but not here.

I'm thinking about getting a regulator hose swivel, since I bite down hard unknowingly while diving as a way to keep my regulator straight in my mouth. Otherwise, it wants to push its way out. Like picture kind of shows. Anyway the question is I have read places that they have a tendency of failing, causing a free flow. Is this your option?

This was the original post. Some on this thread are attempting to shame those who do not like swivels or elbows. Not sure why they feel compelled to attack so vehemently, but this is Basic Scuba, a Green Zone and you're tactics are welcome in The Pub, but not here.
Wouldn't say it's shaming.

Would say that opinions are fairly strong from those who've seen the swivels suddenly and without provocation leak. This is important in a basic forum to let people know that they do fail and frequently.

Similarly, the alternative is the fixed elbow which are reliable and don't suddenly leak.

I believe it is important to note that the 90deg and 70deg elbows do twist at the connection points. So, in effect are swiveling joints. Most new divers will not know the difference. I enjoy my elbows and they have more than enough swivel action to make them very comfortable. I use a 90 on the long hose and the 70 on the necklace reg.

Wouldn't say it's shaming.

Would say that opinions are fairly strong from those who've seen the swivels suddenly and without provocation leak. This is important in a basic forum to let people know that they do fail and frequently.

Similarly, the alternative is the fixed elbow which are reliable and don't suddenly leak.
I’ve never had nor heard of anyone having a failure with an Atomic Comfort Swivel - they get serviced when the reg gets serviced. Are there specific swivels that are prone to the failures that some here seem to be concerned about?

I believe it is important to note that the 90deg and 70deg elbows do twist at the connection points. So, in effect are swiveling joints. Most new divers will not know the difference. I enjoy my elbows and they have more than enough swivel action to make them very comfortable. I use a 90 on the long hose and the 70 on the necklace reg.
For the elbows, "rotate" would be more accurate than "swivel," I think, since the latter implies in more than one plane. Otherwise, you would also need to say that the simple reg on a hose swivels, but i doubt you'd say that.
However, your point is well-taken; the elbows are quite sufficient to provide comfort, and use of a 90 and a 70 (sometijmes called a 110) is common and reasonable.

For the elbows, "rotate" would be more accurate than "swivel," I think, since the latter implies in more than one plane. Otherwise, you would also need to say that the simple reg on a hose swivels, but i doubt you'd say that.
However, you point is well-taken; the elbows are quite sufficient to provide comfort, and use of a 90 and a 70 (sometijmes called a 110) is common and reasonable.
Well, I thought like that as well, but an elbow rotates at both ends which is two planes, so as I said before, "in effect" it swivels. A regulator rotates at a single point and would not "in effect" swivel.

By most definitions of the word, these are all swivels of one type or another…

Back
Top Bottom