Relatively inexpensive CO detector setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes the sensor can be changed.
I'm not clear what "people ripping on a dive operator" has to do with my post since no one has mentioned a dive operator, but yes a lawsuit did relate to said incident.

I was responding to the posts that suggested CO poisoning was very rare.

How do you change the sensor, and how much does it cost, and where do you get the replacement?

The lawsuit was IMO quite silly and it was a bit more to it, but the short version of the FACTS that got SB sued is that a diver died and several others got sick from CO poisoning on the boat of the OP that sued SB, so CO poisoning is a very real concern.
This concern is something to be especially aware off when you get air from locations you do not know (like when youre on a dive vacation and never even see the fill station).

Very few people survive carbon monoxide poisoning, if you are still breathing it is off to a chamber as your only hope I believe.

Carbon monoxide, like cyanaide binds to your hemoglobin, and prevents your blood from absorbing oxygen. However, unlike cyanide, CO can be fairly readily cleared from your system in the presence of fresh air. If you are still breathing and concious, you are highly likely to survive. The first aid treatment is pure oxygen, and when you go to the hospital, that is how they will continue treating you.

The trouble is, if you go unconcious at depth due to CO poisoning, you will likely drown, and even if you are rescued, if you are not breathing, your body's natural mechanisms for clearing CO won't work. Also, depending on the concentrations of CO in the gas, it can potentially kill very quickly. It is colourless, odourless, and the symptoms are not always readily noticable before you get into big trouble.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread:

Anyone else have any experience with the Sensorcon Inspector Carbon Monoxide analyzer?

The Best Meter for Carbon Monoxide Detection & Monitoring

For $129 on amazon its waterproof and has a sensor accuracy +/- 2ppm. This might be a cheaper alternative to the Analox.

I emailed sensorcon about the sensor and they responded with this info:
-Sensor life 2-3 years (Extreme temperatures and humidity or exposure to high concentrations of solvents can shorten life)
-Calibration for sensor $39 at factory
-Replacement and calibration of sensor $89 at factory.

Thanks for bringing this up as I had not noticed the thread. Looks very interesting, an appealing alternative to the other units available. This technology wasn't available in the founding days of Scuba and it's so nice to have it and affordable now.

I wish the company would state values for...

• Initial response time:
  • Full response time:
Anyone know how fast they are? I really like Scubanutil's DIY adaption.

Carbon monoxide, like cyanaide binds to your hemoglobin, and prevents your blood from absorbing oxygen. However, unlike cyanide, CO can be fairly readily cleared from your system in the presence of fresh air.
Well, that's not correct. CO stays bound quite a while, maybe not as long as cyanide - I don't know, but it remains even as the PPO decreases on ascent - making the ascent the worst part of the exposure instead being the solution. Here's one appraisal but there are others around the net...
Carbon monoxide mainly causes adverse effects in humans by combining with hemoglobin to form carboxyhemoglobin (HbCO) in the blood. This prevents hemoglobin from releasing oxygen in tissues, effectively reducing the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood, leading to hypoxia. Additionally, myoglobin and mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase are thought to be adversely affected. Carboxyhemoglobin can revert to hemoglobin, but the recovery takes time because the HbCO complex is fairly stable. (emphasis mine)

If you are still breathing and concious, you are highly likely to survive. The first aid treatment is pure oxygen, and when you go to the hospital, that is how they will continue treating you.

The trouble is, if you go unconcious at depth due to CO poisoning, you will likely drown, and even if you are rescued, if you are not breathing, your body's natural mechanisms for clearing CO won't work. Also, depending on the concentrations of CO in the gas, it can potentially kill very quickly. It is colourless, odourless, and the symptoms are not always readily noticable before you get into big trouble.
That is all true, and more - in that 20ppm at surface can become 100ppm at 130 feet down, then magnified on ascent as I explained above, and there's more to it than that even. So yeah, it's too easy to die that way.

However, even those who survive often have long term injuries, neurological damages, etc. Just not something to risk. It's easy to find various discussions about that on the net, but simply put: It ain't good at all, very good to avoid. :wink:

Personally, I believe that CO poisoning is a lot more common than people realise.

In this age of operators cutting margins to the bone, whats the difference between putting an extra hour on the filters so as to change them less frequently, servicing is also more likely to be extended so as to maximise running costs.

NONE of these things will you be able to ascertain when you ask for a fill.

I compare it to buying a new car - most people would buy the model with airbags - not because they are needed but just in case...

& that is CO monitoring now in a nutshell. You can at the very least, be sure of what you are breathing before you use it.

Nice that it's waterproof, and wearable out & about. :thumb:

I think this will be on my birthday wish list since my wife just asked me what I want. Yay for something relatively inexpensive that I can assure her is good for her too. (Well, if she doesn't want the life insurance money, that is.)

Back
Top Bottom