Reminder to check your tanks for CO !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since we are on this topic, what CO-analyser are you guys using and can recommend?

I use an Analox Portable and have been satisfied with it. I keep it in an Otter waterproof box and it travels well in my suitcase. It's also easy to get serviced here in the states.

---------- Post added May 19th, 2015 at 11:08 AM ----------

Here in Texas at least, restaurant inspection scores are commonly published - with details on what the failures were. Wouldn't it be nice if divers could expect the same on air sources. Since we get nothing of assurance, it falls on us to protect ourselves.

But then, I am not shy about walking into restaurant kitchens. I don't ask; I just go look.

It would be a major undertaking but yes, it would be good to have. Even if this was in place, I've gotten so used to testing my own tanks, I would still test anyway....

Since we are on this topic, what CO-analyser are you guys using and can recommend?

I recently bought the Sensorcon unit and posted a short "unboxing" note here
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...ensorcon-co-meter-quick-review-questions.html

I'm taking two different CO testers next week to Coz tho, so we'll see if I can get a comparison. A 1 ppm reading can be a rounding false-positive, and a 2 could be a testing error, but any more - and I start wondering what else they'll allowing in the tanks, and how much the problem varies?

Dandy Don, I'm very interested to hear your impressions with the Analox and Sensorcon on your Cozumel trip. When playing with the Sensorcon, I found it hard to get consistent readings, and my plan was to use a little plastic baggie to avoid problems with the flow rate. However, I just got back from the trip that pushed me into buying the analyzer, and I ended up not testing any tanks at all -- it always seemed too much of a hassle (staff set up tanks and loaded them into an uncomfortable and crowded little boat, and then it was rush-rush-rush to get everyone geared up and backrolling simultaneously from a boat pitching and rolling in the swell). I come back and read Scubaboard and am reminded how much of an idiot I was for buying and bringing a CO meter and not using it. :depressed:

Happily, though, nobody died, and a good time was had by all.

I recently bought the Sensorcon unit and posted a short "unboxing" note here
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...ensorcon-co-meter-quick-review-questions.html
It's a good choice over here I think, but I don't know how well he could obtain services over there...??

Dandy Don, I'm very interested to hear your impressions with the Analox and Sensorcon on your Cozumel trip. When playing with the Sensorcon, I found it hard to get consistent readings, and my plan was to use a little plastic baggie to avoid problems with the flow rate. However, I just got back from the trip that pushed me into buying the analyzer, and I ended up not testing any tanks at all -- it always seemed too much of a hassle (staff set up tanks and loaded them into an uncomfortable and crowded little boat, and then it was rush-rush-rush to get everyone geared up and backrolling simultaneously from a boat pitching and rolling in the swell). I come back and read Scubaboard and am reminded how much of an idiot I was for buying and bringing a CO meter and not using it. :depressed:

Happily, though, nobody died, and a good time was had by all.
At least you had it to test a tank if anyone got sick or injured, huh? :laughing: When the big Op injured several divers there a few years ago, he didn't know where to find a CO tank tester. I avoid trying to go into details on these stories tho as the findings are generally hidden, not available for public exam - which would be bad for tourism, the life blood of the island.

It can be a hassle, I know - and boring when you get clean tank after clean tank, until you find your first tainted tank. :eek:

I do it tho. The crew works for tips, and I simply advise them to leave my reg off of my tank on each dive until I test and approve. Sit me close to the tanks to make this easier. I'll let you know when I am satisfied. :eyebrow:

I use a one gallon ziplock, the kind with the slider handle for quick closing. A quart bag does not allow enough inflation room. And I use a new bag every day as they tend to leak after a day.

And I encourage humor: "Oh lookie, another clean tank! How about that!" They can laugh, put up with me even tho they don't want to, or get mad - I am still checking. Any resistance would affect my tipping, repeat business, and trip reports. I might even ask "So why don't you have a CO tank tester and test all of these tanks...?!"

What is the max allowable CO level in a tank. Zero is ideal. What is an acceptable range? Leaving for Great Barrier Reef and Fiji Islands in 3 weeks.

What is the max allowable CO level in a tank. Zero is ideal. What is an acceptable range? Leaving for Great Barrier Reef and Fiji Islands in 3 weeks.
That kind of depends on whom or which agency you ask. Official maximums allowed by the few countries who do state a max vary from 3 to 15 ppm I think.

I start complaining at 3 ppm I guess, and anything over - I start looking for cleaner compressors & operators, altho in many destinations the operators readily trade out tanks with each other. There should be none in your tank, and if they let any CO in - what else is getting in, but you're not going to travel that far - then refuse to dive over a few ppms. If you do find any, say 3 or more as 1 or 2 could be a testing error, ask the operator if he can do better. He'll claim that no one ever had a problem before, but that's crap. Just tell him you don't want to be the first to die that way. The truth is that there may have been others but the causes were hidden.

I think Australia has some of the strictest controls, but Fiji is more of a place to get away with whatever works.

Have a great trip. :pilot: Hope no storms come up in your area.

Thanks for responding.:D
Which tester are you taking? How much experience do you have with it?

It can get boring getting zero reading after zero reading on tank after tank, until you get a hit - then it all becomes so rewarding.

The Analox O2EII Pro from Leisure Pro.
Ok, it's super easy to use. In the Cozumel marina last week, I had a little challenge dialing in zero calibration because of all the fumes, but once we starter out - the air cleaned up enough. This was an open air boat. A boat with a front shield create a station wagon suction effect - even be dangerous to those riding.

Have a good trip.

Back
Top Bottom