Render and Burn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfisher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Me thinks things are going a bit slow. I just got done editingvideo from my Bonaire trip in March. Total video time is approximately 35 minutes. There is music and 4 titles.

Put to the burn mode and it took almost 13 hours to render and burn. This seems a little on the long side, if you get my drift.

Previous versions took as long as 7 hours and that without music.

The puter is a Dell Inspiron 530, Intel Q6600 2.5G Quad processor, 4G of DDR2 800 ram., 500G Sata hard drive. The only thing this machine does is video and is roughly 5 weeks old so it's not cluttered up.

So what's taking so long? Is it possible it's my editing program? Corel ULead 11.5.

35 minutes is a long video, but there are other factors such as color correction effects, etc. which can greatly increase render times. Different codecs take longer to render to than others as well.

WOW. That's a long time. I usually create DVD's with 45 to 88 minutes of footage that requires rendering and (of course) burning on a P4 1.6 MHz system using Premiere 6.0 (all ancient technology since I haven't moved my project files over to my new computer yet).

Are you rendering HDV or mini DV? I do mostly mini DV so that could be a major factor.

What I do first is render each individual segment (usually 5-9 min in length) to an AVI file, then combine the segments into a DVD project to burn. Burning these projects rarely takes more than an hour.

The few HDV projects I've burned so far do take much longer.

This 3 minute HD video took about 20 minutes to render to WMV-HD

Grand Cayman East End Dive Report on Vimeo

HP Pavilion dv6810us, 3gb memory, Turion 64x2, Sony Vegas Plutinum 8

I suppose that 10 times that would put it at 200 minutes or 3.5 hours. Did not burn to DVD. You do have more memory and quad core processor.

As Dr. Bill asked, SD or HD?

I recently did a compilation video with about 8 videos together totalling about 45 minutes including music... and burn time to DVD was only about an hour for the first one, 20 minutes for each additional copy. I would say that maybe your software is the issue.

Although the camcorder is HD (HC7) my DVD's are SD. I haven't got enough video knowledge yet to justify going the HD route.

The nurning time only takes a few minutes. 2nd and 3rd copies only take about 3 minutes. That's what makes me think it's the editing software.

I did this same video a week ago without music and it still took almost 7 hours.

I think it's time to get a trial version of Adobe or Pinnacle.

One more thing while I have your attention. How do I import music from my music files to the editing program? When I click on "Audio" the only option I see for importing music is to download it from CD. Am I missing something? I have tons of music on my puter. Just need to get into ULead.

Although the camcorder is HD (HC7) my DVD's are SD. I haven't got enough video knowledge yet to justify going the HD route.

The nurning time only takes a few minutes. 2nd and 3rd copies only take about 3 minutes. That's what makes me think it's the editing software.

I did this same video a week ago without music and it still took almost 7 hours.

I think it's time to get a trial version of Adobe or Pinnacle.

One more thing while I have your attention. How do I import music from my music files to the editing program? When I click on "Audio" the only option I see for importing music is to download it from CD. Am I missing something? I have tons of music on my puter. Just need to get into ULead.

that is the software. I have Pinnacle and it gives me the option of MyMusic or preloaded music in the software. It does need to be in proper format though depending on what your software wants (MP3 is what I use).

robin:D

One thing also I have seen when rendering to the same hard drive that the video is stored on it will take a while. I just got through doing my first video for Bonaire also. The first one i did was about 15mins long and took about 3 hours to render to the same hard drive it was stored on.the second one is about the same time as yours, I did it once in SD and it took 40 mins to 1 hour, then resaved it as HD and did some color correction and rendered it again and it took about 3 hours. I am using Vagas movie studio plat 8.
So I would say try rendering to and external hard drive.

Last edited:
Just a brief statement on the machine speccs..
Unless you run a 64-bit OS with editing software that supports multi-core operation you are not utilizing multiple cores or the 64-bit hardware architecture very effectively and the same goes for memory above 3 to 3.3 GB due to addressing issues.
You can set your editing software to run on a specific core (other than the one "everything else" use) to have as much cpu power as possible available to the application but Ive had mixed results with that with regards to application crashes and such..
Tell me again why the heck new computers these days come with 32-bit versions of vista? The 64-bit has the same price and as far as new computers goes, just as good driver support..

Back
Top Bottom